Chapter 12: 3am

Velda lead them to the end of the bar where three spiral staircases in a triangle formation lead to separate holes in the ceiling. She removed a rope that was separating them from the rest off the room and let Casey and Seb through. She then unhooked a velvet barrier from the bottom of one of the staircases and Seb lead the way up. Casey followed after him, wondering where they would end up. Velda replaced the velvet rope below and watched them disappear through the roof.

As they reached the top of the stairs, Casey's breath hitched in her throat at the sight of the room before her. It was a small space, about the size of a large elevator. There was a crescent shaped booth seat against the wall with a table, all of which faced out to a completely glass wall and domed roof with the most spectacular view of the city lights. The room was lowly-lit and was lit only by dimmed fairy lights above the booth seat.

"Wow," she breathed, grinning incredulously as Seb turned to watch her.

"It's not bad, right?" he chuckled, sliding into the seat and looking out at the view.

She slipped into the seat after him, a little unsure how close was too close or too far away to sit.

"Do you even know what that is?" he asked, looking at her brightly coloured cocktail.

She shook her head, "Honestly, no idea. I'm living dangerously, can you tell?"

He smirked and fiddled with his glass.

"So how long have you been friends with Evan?"

"Uhh, just over two years now," she replied with a smile.

"Did you always know about him?"

"Yeah, kind of, I mean over time I became more sure of it. But he officially told me only quite recently."

"Did you ever wish he wasn't... that way?"

She looked away and out the window, "When I first realised it was probably true, I was kind of sad about it. When we first started working together I became pretty enamoured with him and he was always so... you know, Evan-like, so friendly. But nothing ever progressed and there were never any other girls either, so..."

"What can you do, huh," Seb chuckled, surprised she was being so candid.

"But otherwise, no, I haven't wished anything like that for a long time. I love him, he's my best friend," she shrugged, smiling.

"And Jacob?" he asked, curious to hear their full story.

"Don't tell them I told you this, but him and Evan are meant for each other. They also happen to both be idiots and neither wants to make the first move," she laughed, shaking her head.

"Oh! Jake too? God, why am I always the last to hear these things!" Sebastian laughed with her and looked down at his drink.

"Well, now you know everything so... what's your story?" she challenged.

"There's no story to tell."

"Why not?"

"I'm always on the road, always busy. Anyone I meet I usually never see again. Don't get me wrong, that was a novelty at first," he shrugged, "But even my friends at home, I see them only a few times a year, if it is even possible."

She nodded, "Must be pretty difficult."

He tipped his head from side to side, "Yes, but it is part of the job, and I could never complain about where I am."

"Just your usual first world Formula 1 driver problems, huh?" she teased.

He chuckled and set down his drink, looking at her softly.