Chapter 63: Loose Ends

Evan jumped up the stairs two at a time before facing the long hallway ahead. His eyes darted over each door suspiciously. He pushed his way through into the master bedroom, knowing his way around now since having snooped through each room earlier in the evening.

The room was pitch black but he could still see her outline, laying on her back on the floor in front of the window, staring out at the flawlessly spectacular view of the night sky outside.

She didn't move or look up as he walked over and lay down on his back next to her.

"Come on." Evan urged, pulling his arm back and encouraging Casey to move in against him.

"No." she said, her voice shaky but stubborn.

Evan laughed under his breath, "Well, you at least have to tell me what it is then."

Casey sighed, "I'm just having a moment, I'll be fine in a minute."

"You know I won't leave you until you spit it out, so get on with it."

Evan heard her groan quietly.

"I just can't believe what I did." Casey whispered.

"Which bit?"

Casey groaned again, "That fact that you even have to ask me which horrible thing I did that I'm referring to says enough doesn't it?"

"I'm gonna' guess that you've regressed back to Monday and are thus feeling bad about Heikki." Evan stated.

"Yes."

"It's done. You need to forget it."

"The whole thing makes me feel disgusted... They both deserve better."

"Case. Stop." Evan said sharply. He could see her wiping her sleeve across her cheek and sighed.

"Do you know how happy Seb looks tonight? At first it felt like we'd gone back in time to the Villa in Germany before shit hit the fan."

"I know he's happy."

"Then why aren't you?"

"I am."

"I will strangle you unless you start making some sense." Evan threatened.

"Good." Casey retorted.

Evan sighed and rolled on to his side, propping his head up with his elbow and staring at Casey expectantly. She could make out the determination on his face even in the dark.

"I just feel so guilty. I shouldn't have touched Heikki. Ever. I don't even know anymore if I really even wanted to, what the fuck!"

"How were you to know things would work out this way! You're confusing hindsight with reality. Nobody would blame you. You were just trying to move on, so what."

"Still makes me sick. And I thought about Seb constantly. So I did wrong by everyone." Casey laughed humourlessly.

"So what do you want to do?"

"Go back in time and pass out in the bathroom back in Austin, so that I never would have walked back down the hallway." Casey said confidently.

Evan snorted, "I don't think that would have solved your problem really, not entirely. Heikki would have had a crack sooner or later."

Casey sighed and sat up, wiping her face one more time and taking a deep breath, "Enough of this shit. You're right, what's done is done."

"Your emotional breakdowns are becoming more efficient! Well done!" Evan grinned, scrambling to his feet and offering his hand out to her.