Chapter 7

2 months later:

My regular clothes were already getting tight. They became stiff and hard to walk in. The first time I noticed and huffed in frustration Rhys laughed and pulled me into his arms.

"I'll make an appointment at your favorite shop and we'll go and buy new clothes together. " I smiled and nodded.

But we never actually went. Life got busy, especially for Rhys with his preparations for the baby to come. He was moving his schedule around so he would have all the time for me and the he claimed. Of course, I could never complain about that.

And then it was the countless meetings within the inner circle discussing if we should tell the other courts. Or even the rest of our own court.

Rhys and I seemed to be on the same page at first. But when Cassian brought in his side of the argument, he quickly changed sides. Actually, so did everyone else in the inner circle until I was the only one left.

I wanted to tell everyone especially our courts and our allies, but everyone agreed that on top of my weakened state, telling everyone would make me a larger target.

They said "weakened state" without any judgment. Worry but not pity, and I think I loved them even more for that.

It was only last week that we came to a compromise. When I reached 9 months, we would tell our court and closest allies. Word would spread towards our enemy's no doubt but not quick enough to strike before I have the baby. It also wouldn't seem as if I hide the pregnancy to much, especially when we explain the reasons.

It was yet another morning and I was exiting the bathroom when a note popped onto the bed.

Emergency at the Illyrian camp. A fight broke out among the men destroying half the camp. Be back after lunch.

I smiled and sent a picture of myself along the bond along with a reply on the note saying

If you can stay away from me that long.

Cruel beautiful thing

he purred into my head, making my toes curl.

I was on my way to the closet, passing my desk with a giant stack of papers and cringed. It was a fat stack too. I sighed and decided to finish it before it reached the ceiling. But first, to change.

I opened the closet and picked a simple day dress. One of the only things that got me comfortable. I slipped behind the changing panel dropping my silk night gown to the floor and stepping into the dress.

It was tighter than when I last wore it. I wore it......when did I wear it? LAST WEEK! Rhys and I really need to go shopping. I slipped my hand behind my back to zip up the dress, but I got only two inches up before it wouldn't budge.

I figured it was stuck on some cloth, so I called for Nuala and Cerridwen to give me a hand. They walked right in through the walls and when I told them my problem, they motioned for me to turn around. They fidgeted with it for quite a while before I turned back around to find their faces in between laughter and pity. Not bad pity though.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Well....you see" Nuala began. "It doesn't fit anymore."

"What?" I breathed. "But this was my largest outfit, if this doesn't fit nothing else will." They just stared at me awaiting their next orders.

I let out a chuckle, and then another until I was laughing so hard, I was clutching my stomach. The twins were snickering as well. "Thank you" I finally let out. "I'll figure it out" and with that they disappeared into the wall.