Chapter 34

We woke up around noon and munched on some bread that we found in the cabinets before winnowing back to Velaris, directly into our rooms. I hadn't seen Nesta or Cassian since yesterday and I guess that would have to wait. I almost groaned at the thought of having that impending talk, about what had happened; but until then, they will just have to trust me going into this meeting. Rhys and I quickly changed into appropriate clothes: I wore a black dress with double leg slits stopping around my mid-thigh. The bodice was cut in such a way that clear panels made my waist look smaller than it was, the sleeves wrapped around my arms like vines, and it was all lined with silver thread which would shimmer with the slightest light. It was a new dress I had ordered, precisely for a meeting like this; and to be honest, aside from my Starfall dress, this was one of my favorites. Rhys thought the same because no matter where I walked around the room, his eyes followed me, and I could tell he was holding back with restraint. I smirked to myself and just to bother him I went over to where he was, my arm brushing his and leaned over to grab something from my nightstand. He had a perfect view of my behind and the slits on my dress parted to allow much of my leg to be exposed. That along with my partially bare back was enough to make him freeze. Oh, he knew, he knew what I was purposely doing to him, I knew he would like nothing more than to rip this dress off me, but he let out a tiny uncontrolled growl and walked to the bathroom, splashing cold water on his face. My smirk became feline and I grabbed my crown from the nightstand, placing it on my head and pinning it down to my head for extra support; and with today's meeting.... I just might need it.

After a couple more minutes of finishing touches to my hair and makeup, Mor was banging on our door to hurry. She didn't even get to finish her sentence however before I opened the door. Mor, wide eyed looked me up and down before giving me a large smile. "Oh, I like where this is going" she said, amusement lacing every word. She linked her arm with mine leaving Rhys to trail us behind, where I could tell he was trying to look at anything but me. "You remember the plan?" I asked her, all seriousness now. She nodded and while her smile dropped a little, it didn't disappear. "Yep, although as much as I love scaring my father are you sure this is the way to go? His troops suffered many losses in the war, and we can't afford a civil war right now." It was a risk, but with a glance to Rhys and the nod of his head, it was one I was positive would work. We needed to get him back in line and ask him about the rebel group within our lands without raising too much suspicion at just how desperate we are. "I'm sure." "And can you control them?" Rhys had told them about the plan we had set up in the cabin moments before we winnowed back to Velaris. I hadn't told Mor myself about my new powers and I would have to explain it to her, but for now this was all the information she had so I gave the only answer I was giving myself. "For now" I replied, "they respond to me and that's good enough for this meeting" I said it with as much confidence as I could muster and hoped that if she believed I could do it, I would start to believe it more myself. It wasn't that I didn't think I could, I just didn't know the extent to which I could. Rhys had said however that this was the perfect time to test that and I had just snorted in response.

We reached the bottom of the stairs and entered the living room where we would all meet to winnow into the court of nightmares. I saw Cassian in the corner, talking with Az and when our eyes met, they softened and he gave me nod; he understood, no forgiveness needed. That might be the case for him, but I was still going to talk to him about it later, and Nesta but probably not together. I wanted to apologize not just because I am his high lady but because we were friends too. But later, that would be later. Nesta and Elain would be staying with Amren here at the house. Amren would meet up with us later if things went wrong and then Nesta after that if things went really wrong; not that we expected too but it was always nice to have a backup plan. Elain would stay here and use her seer powers to protect Velaris and inform me and Rhys if anything was bound to happen so we could get here before it actually occurred. But none of that would need to happen hopefully.