Chapter 35

It took minutes, minutes for us to winnow to our house and change. Only minutes to loop in Amren, Nesta, and Elain who were surprised at our early return. Minutes for Amren to change and for all of us to come up with a new plan. Minutes before we winnowed to a clearing in the forest, starring up at three large mountains, three stars, high in the sky on top of the middle peak. Stars that no matter where you were in the territory, flanked that middle mountain. The night court insignia; the same one that was tattooed on Rhys knees and my palms. I had come to see it once since my time here but seeing it again took my breath away, it was stunning. A cool chill found its way through my fur lined leathers, but I didn't shiver, instead I embraced it and my winter powers hummed in response. I turned to the others and we all gave a sharp nod, then split up.

The plan was simple, surround their camp and on the signal, attack. Rhys and I held connections to all their minds, like a hand on the doorknob. If they needed help or needed to talk to us, all they had to do was open the door and we'd listen, then exchange the information to everyone else. Az's shadows had confirmed the exact location of the rebels as we were winnowing to the house, allowing us to plan in those precious minutes. Mor had suggested that we wait, learn the layout of their camp, the guards and how many people there were but Cass and Az were right. If we give them even a day, they could be lost to us for caldron knows how long again, giving them time to regroup and come up with a new plan of attack. With their sole weapon deep inside me, we were all confident now that this would be a simple mission. Grab a few for interrogation and kill the rest; after their attacks on us, they didn't deserve the mercy of rotting in a prison. However, some would say that killing them was more of a mercy than the night court prison, but I just want this to be over. So the faster we can get rid of this problem, the faster we can go back to our normal lives.

My life with Gawain who's first year has been interrupted with this madness. My heart still aches every time I have to leave him. It was only moments ago when I kissed the top of his head where he bounced on Elain's lap, giggling as he played with one of his toys. I would be damned if that was my last moment with him. I would see him grow up I promised to myself, to Rhys after what happened at the battle. We promised to do everything in our power to watch our babies grow up, until they married, to see our grandchildren. We promised that we would grow so old that handing over Gawain the crown wouldn't be because of our death, but as a moment of joy and happiness between the family. The twin tattoos that now laid at mine and Rhys' ankles was confirmation of that promise; two crowns, both topped with three stars at the tallest point. A combination of our throne and territory. The promise made after our conversation in the cabin.

With one final glance at Rhys, the promise also flashing in his eyes, I slipped behind a tree and made my way towards the southern edge of the camp. Rhys and I were in charge of taking the north and south sides; more of a political move than anything. Cassian and Mor would flank the west side, splitting it up into two parts since the camp was longer than it was wider. The same was on the east side with Az and Amren. Since my journey was the shortest, I was to wait and watch, reporting any movement or anything strange.

I flicked out my Illyrian knives and held one in each hand, the hilt now a familiar comfort in my palms. I carefully stepped through the forest, careful to avoid sticks and dead leaves. Enough light was filtered through the trees from the moon for me to see the ground in front of me and step over any roots I would have tripped on otherwise. It was only a couple minutes before I could smell the dinner roasting in the camp, carried on a breeze. It wasn't long after that before I heard muffled voices, and the campfire light through some bushes. I glanced for a tree to climb but in the corner of my eye I saw movement. A moment later it revealed itself to be a guard walking in this direction. I quickly hid behind a large tree and slowed my breathing, my heartbeat until I was still as a tree. I trick Azriel taught me after the Hybern war, how to stay utterly still and unnoticed by other fae. No wonder I barely noticed him sometimes. The guard was alone and in my crevice, I brought both knives up to my chest, ready to pounce. Magic, Rhys told us as we were about to winnow to the forest clearing, would be used as an absolutely last resort. We didn't know what kind of wards or magic they had which could detect magic and blow our cover. So until our attack, it was hand to hand combat.