Chapter 30

Rhys POV:

I was pacing around the room. Flexing my fist opened and closed. The rest of the family stood against the wall or sitting on the couch. Not a word from them. Not a sliver of expression. They were letting me sort this out, to breathe.

The only person who dared to speak to me in this form was Amren who sat at the kitchen counter pouring over a book which looked older than all of us combined. Maybe as old as Prythian itself. But I didn't pay it much attention. Not when Feyre was gone.

It took everything I had to step away from that hill she was on. It took everything I had to tell Azriel and Cassian to go deal with the aftermath of the war. All I knew was that no one had perished, many injuries, some severe but, no deaths so far. That calmed my heart enough to think. To remember the promise we made to each other on that balcony not too long ago. To remember that I was still alive, and so was she. I explained our promise to Amren, and she didn't hesitate to yell at me for not thinking of our son. Our son who I was reassured was still fine and healthy thanks to Mors report that came in minutes before we reached Amren's. The only words she has said to me since I snapped at her. I needed to apologize. I would apologize.... just not yet.

"How are you sure they didn't take her to wherever they were camping out at?" I asked Amren after she told me several minutes ago that she was not on Prythian anymore. A glance at the clock told me it was a bit longer than a few minutes. I growled as I realized I don't have time to be wasting lost in my thoughts. Feyre needs me now, now more than ever. Cauldron be damned, I should have known from the minute she was attacked. But now was not the time to be drowning myself in guilt, especially when Feyre would most likely kick it out of me when I see her again. When, not an if.

I stopped pacing and faced Amren, both palms flat against the smooth granite counter. "Because" she said smoothly as if she has gone over this scenario in her head over and over, "because the darkness is not a part of this world, it most likely is not part of any world anymore, not mine and not this one's, it's just here and there but nowhere."

"Amren" I grounded it between my clenched teeth, "now is not time for your cryptic riddles". She gave me a look that told me if we were not in this situation right now, she surely would have bitten my head off. But she bit her tongue for now. She opened her mouth to say something else but quickly closed it. Her blink was the only sign of her shock. "What it is".

But she ignored me as she reached for the drawer near her. She opened it to reveal hundreds of gems just loose as if they weren't priceless items and instead mere river pebbles. I might have snorted if we weren't in this, if Feyre wasn't still missing. I felt the strain between our bond. The tether between us so tight as if she were so far it stretched the bridge to the point where it felt as if it was going to break. I rubbed my chest, the ache a faint dull compared to the ache in my heart due to her situation.

Armen took out a small ruby no larger than a pinky nail. She waved a hand over it and it revealed itself to be the orb. The orb with one of the inky monsters still trapped. Hidden in plain sight. I would expect nothing less from my second.

"They all left" she breathed as if shocked to where her mind was racing. Thoughts I was quickly picking up on and connecting the pieces before she even continued.

"Without this" I managed to say breathless as well. She nodded in confirmation. Mor ruffled behind him but didn't say anything. Neither did Nesta for once, seated on the couch but she was listening, intently. Azriel entered through the corner shadows of the walls. I glanced up to him, meeting his eyes and he gave me a quick nod. The troops and city were secure, for now. I gave him a quick recap on what we were discussing, and his eyes darkened. The only show of emotion from him.

"Then we use this creature to lead us to Feyre. The last piece returning to them." I walked out soon after the last word left my mouth and flew to the top of a mountain. The snow blasted around me, freezing my wings and making the sensation of every snowflake hitting them even that more dreadful. But I didn't pay attention as I kneeled and sobbed. A few minutes to get myself together and then I'd be off. I knew sleep was nowhere in sight. Maybe even for days. Weeks if it meant I was close to finding Feyre. So I stood on the peak and lifted my head to the sky, wind blowing against my face, not blocking a single snowflake or stream of wind with my powers, and whispered down the bond

I'm coming Feyre

Feyre pov.:

I was nothing but the darkest black in a pool of ink.

No body belonged to me but my mind and soul as I drifted along the endless gloom.

A whisper fluttered into my mind but I didn't process it. Couldn't as I fell further and further from myself. Further into the creatures who surrounded me. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How are you guys liking it so far?
Also, how's quarantine going?
Stay safe!
xoxo
-S