Chapter 14

I was faced with images of my past. The months alone in the cold forest trying to catch anything for my family. The weeks that came after I shot the fae wolf. The scenes under the mountain. How I met Rhys. Our story. And then now. I saw myself giving birth. Then I was brought ahead of the present. I saw our baby take his first steps. I saw him learn how to fly. I saw him the first time he got hurt and the pain it brought me to not be able to help him. I saw the fights Rhys and I would have about parenting. But most importantly, I saw the growth in our family more. I saw the love between Rhys, and I grow stronger. I saw my perfect life. Too perfect.

My eyes slowly opened as I took a glance around the room. It was silent. Rhys was sitting in a chair close by and leaned over with his hands on his head with his eyes closed. But he was not sleeping. "Rhys" I croaked out; my voice raspy. Rhys shot up and was next to me before I knew it, handing me a glass of water.

"Feyre darling." He kissed my forehead. "I thought I lost you" "I thought you were gone from me forever" his eyes, glossy from dried tears and wet from the ones beginning we're soft and it almost broke my heart. I reached up and put my hand to his cheek.

Rhys leaned into it as I said "but you didn't. And you won't for a long time. The baby- ""he's fine" Rhys quickly cut me off, settling my panic. "Healthy, and the most beautiful baby boy I have ever seen." I smiled as tears leaked out of my eyes. "Let me get him for you." I nodded as he walked out. I tried to sit up against the back board but was immediately hit with blinding pain.

"Careful darling. Madja said you would be very sore from the labor and the attack." But his words washed over my head as I starred at the bundle in his arms. I forced myself to sit up. Teeth clenched in pain, I reached for my baby. Rhys placed him into my arms and sat next to me on the bed holding me close to him.

"We never could decide on a name." Rhys chuckled. "No, we couldn't." "How about Caspian?" Rhys snorted. "No way, sounds too much like Cassian, he would never let us forget it." "Hmmm your right. Ok how about Gawain?" Even as it rolled off my tongue, I knew that was it. Rhys did too as his eyes slid to mine and crinkled as he smiled. "I think that's perfect".

I looked down to my beautiful baby boy. Gawain had a head covered in dark inky hair and violet eyes like Rhys, but he had my mouth, my dad's mouth. "He has your nose too" Rhys added. "You think?" "oh, I know. Look at you two, identical." "Wings?" "If he has, they haven't showed yet" I nodded.

I don't think I had ever smiled larger. Gawain opened his eyes and peered into my face. I reached down and stroked his face and he smiled. "Rhys, did we really make him. How did two people as screwed up as us make something this perfect?" He chuckled and it sent my stomach rolling in happiness. "I have no answer for that darling."

"My two favorite boys...." "excuse me?!" Cassian says as he walks through the door. "I thought I was the second favorite." Az punched him in the arm and turned to me "it was obviously me." I giggled as they came close to take a peek. "How are you feeling?" Az asked. "Honestly? I feel like I was just hit with the cauldron".

"That's a little dark Feyre." Mor says as she walks in with Elain, Nesta and Amren snorting close behind. "Did you decide on a name?" Elain asks. "Yes, we named him Gawain." Rhys tells them. "That's a beautiful name" Nesta replies. "Thank you" I said. And meant it

The next day I woke up to an empty bed. Rhys, where are you?

Eating breakfast with the circle and taking care of the baby. He replies.

Why didn't you wake me?!

Because you need your rest.

"Insufferable" I murmur. I throw the sheets to the side and lift my legs over the bed. It takes a minute for my head to stop spinning before I grip the side table and haul myself up. My legs are a little wobbly at first, but I manage to put one after the other until I reach the stairs of the living room. That's where Rhys sees me and drops his utensils which were halfway up into his mouth, back onto the plate and winnows in front of me.

"Feyre, Madja said that are supposed to be on bed rest." "Well I wanted to eat with my family. The baby?" "Asleep in his bed. At least let me help you to the table." I was in too much pain to reject.

I know

He winnowed me to the chair and sat me down even as I winced. He then piled food onto my plate. "Mother hen" the rest of the table laughed and tried to keep the food in their mouth as they continued to pretend, they weren't listening. It then occurred to me that there was a small sound of cheering and chatting coming from outside.

"What's that noise from outside?" I asked as I began to stuff food into my mouth. "The whole city of Velaris" Az replied. I almost choked. "What?! Why?" "To see Gawain" Cassian filled in before anyone else. "How long?" "Since you went into labor" "what! Then we must- we must address them" I began to get up again and Rhys quickly came to help me. "Darling don't you know how to rest for 5 minutes?" I ignored him as I slowly made my way up the stairs and into Gawain's bedroom where I found him very much awake and not sleeping. I picked him up and walked back downstairs.

"Well come on now." I said to everyone else as they followed me to the balcony doors and opened them. I stepped out with Gawain in my arms and Rhys on my side with my family behind me. The crowd went wild and only when they began to settle, did I begin to speak.

"It is my pleasure to present to you your future high lord of the night court, Gawain!" And the cheers went wild again.

~~~~~~~~~
Hello everyone. I felt bad about the cliff hanger so here you go. Hope you like!
-S