Chapter 12

I was walking down the rainbow to get more art supplies. Hands on my back to help my aching muscles, I waved and said hello to people when they approached. Quite honestly, I wasn't really paying attention. To think that any day now Rhys and I were going to be parents seemed to take up my mind.

Madja said that walking might actually help speed up the time it takes until I go into labor and that we were too close to the deadline for it to cause me any "major damage" or whatever that meant. Rhys was already being overprotective, but it made me giggle as I remember a memory earlier this week.

Earlier this week:

Rhys? Where are you?

In the nursery darling

I peeked my head into the recently renovated nursery. I don't think I loved a room more. The walls were painted with the colors of the sunrise but as nighttime approached, the colors changed to the night sky and the stars on the roof would glow. I didn't know what magic was used to make it but the first time I saw it, I cried. Which was not surprising.

I wrapped my arms around Rhys as he pulls me in close and lays a kiss on my head. His arms resting on my very large and way too heavy bump.

"You ok?" I ask him.

"Yeah, more than ok. But do you think the crib is in the right place? Should it be closer to the window?"

I bit my lip so he wouldn't see my smile growing on my face and turned to him. His face was drawn as he continued to think, and I gently grabbed his chin, so he met my eyes.

"I believe it's my job to worry"

"It's OUR job to worry darling. And I'm serious."

I gave him a small peck on the lips. "I know you are. But I think it's fine. Really."

The wood crib was covered in dark blue sheets and a small contraption hung overhead with moons and stars which would spin and sing a lullaby when a button was pressed. "I think" I began. "That we have everything we need. And now it's up to this little guy to decide when he wants to pop out of me."

He laughed and I could tell his worries were dissipating. It was true though. We had the cutest handmade clothes with custom emblems and stitching to represent the night court and we had piles of baby diapers and other supplies stocked in a closet somewhere in the house.

"You're right" he says "as always" I smiled and gave him a kiss on his check before I turned out to walk out of the room.

"I'm going out. Madja says I should start taking walks around the city."

He caught up to me where I was walking down the hallway.

"Ok just. Stay safe. With the news out you don't know who will want to hurt you. Leave the channel between us open a bit larger?"

"Of course," I replied.

"High lady?" I snapped out of my daze to see a man around Rhys age standing in front of me.

"I'm sorry. How can I help you?" I quickly reply.

"Sorry to interrupt but I have some new paintings I just finished and wondered if you would like to look at them?"

"You're a painter?" He nods in response

"Well of course. Show me the way." I ask

He smiles. "Right this way"

I follow him through the rainbow until we reach the end and he turn's the corner into an alleyway. He then turns around.

"Oh, did we make a wrong turn?" I ask seeing the dead end.

"Nope" he replies right before he lets out a ball of pure darkness and hurls it towards me. I can only make a small and weak shield, but it doesn't stop the impact as I'm thrown against the brick wall, hitting my head and falling to the ground.

Rhys, help!

It's all I can let out before the man blows blue dust over me cutting me off from my powers and my mating bound with Rhys. He drags me off the floor and I wince in pain as he holds me by the neck against the wall.

Rhys pov.:

I was having a meeting with Cassian and Az in my office. I stood up to get a map to correct Cassian when I heard Feyre's cry for help, pain and then nothing.

The pain was so strong and so unexpected I dropped the ground knocking over a side table and the vase which was on it. "Rhys?!" Cassian and Az ask as they help me to my feet. I don't respond to their question as blind furry and panic settles in. "Feyre is in trouble" and I disappear into the city knowing they'll follow.

I didn't even acknowledge them behind me as I flew across the city searching for my mate. I banged and screamed her name against the wall, but it wouldn't budge. I sent out my magic to find her and I was met with such a small response I almost missed it.

I dove towards the ally way and I saw Feyre against the wall, held by her neck. I was going to kill this bastard.

Feyre pov.:

Cassian didn't train me for nothing. Even nine months pregnant I didn't forget the moves he taught me. I raised my knee and brought it to his groin at the same time I brought up my hands and blocked his hands, releasing them from my throat. I fell to the ground in burning pain, but I forced myself to get up.

The man gathered a ball of darkness in his hands again and as I braced for the impact Rhys came and tackled him. He flew in at such a speed that it had to hurt. The man was dead before Cassian or Az even touched the ground.

Adrenaline fading the pain came back at full power and I dropped to the floor. Rhys dropped beside me and picked me up stroking my hair.

"Feyre. What hurts darling."

"The baby" I breathed out.

"Shit Rhys. She's in labor." Az let's out.

"Shit shit shit" he breathed out. "Breathe Feyre. Madja is meeting us at the house. What else hurts?"

"I... everything.... everywhere" I tried taking deep breathes to calm myself as another contraction hit making me grunt. The world turned to dark as Rhys winnowed to the town house where Mor and Amren were already waiting. Rhys must have filled them in because they ushered me into our room and placed damp clothes on my forehead as Rhys placed me down. Madja came in a few minutes later and placed her bag on the side of the bed before she began working.

"That blast should have killed you." Madja said. "If it wasn't for that feeble shield or for your baby you would be dead right now."

Tears ran down Rhys eyes as he kissed my forehead and took the hair out of my face. "I'm sorry Feyre. I'm sorry I wasn't there." I grabbed his hand and looked into his eyes. "You saved me Rhys. Again."

"Feyre, the baby's coming. I'm going to need you to give me a very large push you understand?" I nodded as Rhys took both of my hands in preparation.

"And push!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well, anyone see that coming? The end is no where near so don't freak out. What are your guys reaction to the story so far? I try to make the characters as close as possible but pls tell me if they stray to far.
-S