Chapter 36

I don't normally do this but I recommend listening to "Shadows" by Sabrina Carpenter while reading this chapter. Maybe start it after the 7th paragraph? Up to you guys I just thought it fit well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up, mouth full of dirt and dried blood and I spat it on the ground as I laid my brow on the ground. The throbbing in my arm parallel to the throbbing in my head. I rubbed the spot but there was something else, something else that felt off. The living bond that used to flow from me was empty, and I jerked up, remembering what had happened, where we were.

The rest of my family laid in a line, shackled in faebane chain, emitting a low glowing blue light. But Az and Cassian, those were arrows in their body, and even as they doubled over in pain, I thanked the cauldron that their wings were safe. At least there was that, Mor was still sprawled on the ground, head on Cassian's lap, inches from a wicked arrow on his thigh. By the way his face withered in pain I could tell that it bothered him, but not enough to do anything about it. Amren had a nasty cut and bruise on her cheekbone but aside from that, she looked fine slumped in the corner of the cell, unconscious. It was flimsy at best, stones fresh enough that made me believe it was recently made.... This was a trap, and like fools we ran right into it. I went to move for Cassian and Azriel, if I could get them some of my blood, pull out the ash arrows before It caused permanent damage, we still might have a shot to escape. But in the shadows, hidden from the light, something stirred. Rhys face came into view and I choked on a sob as I crawled to him. I was the only one awake without chains, most likely because of the fae bane powder they blew on me. Rhys had chains around his wrists and ankles, not to mention the two ash arrows on either shoulder. As if to make sure that he wouldn't do anything, couldn't. And despite his shackles, despite the arrows, he still reached for me, face filled with pain and, and guilt. I put my palm to his cheek, and he leaned into it; our foreheads resting. Without him expecting it, I reached up and wrapped my hands against the arrow stick, snapping it in two and pulling it out of his shoulder. He grunted in pain. And before he could real in from the first arrow, I did the same thing to the other one. It only took his seconds to recover and he brushed a kiss to my lips. "Thank you" I nodded but began to say something else, in a hushed whisper in case anyone, or anything was listening. "I'm going to pull these chains off of you Rhys, and you are going to level this camp to the ground, you hear me. To hell with survivors or doing it the diplomatic way, kill them all." A smirk of a smile appeared on his lips "Just what I was thinking. You need to save us first though" I huffed a laugh and pulled back, peering into his face. "As always". I cut open my palm with a piece of metal attached to his chains and brought it to his mouth, speeding the recovery.

Next I crawled to Cassian and Az first. "Hey" I breathed. "So I was wondering if you heard what happened during the recent game." I stared into Cassian's eyes, then Azriel's, please understand me, please. Az understood first, Cassian following behind after a couple seconds, at first giving me a stare like he wanted to knock me on the side of my head. But he barely missed a beat when he did come around and started easy conversation. "I heard they thought it was going to be an easy win but got slaughtered during the first half, everyone was wondering what they were going to do for the second half to catch up." I smiled and snapped the arrow in his thigh in half, pulling it out. He grunted, but the conversation helped to distract him. "Well someone told me that they overheard the team in a huddle, said that the minute they got back on the field their strongest player was going to plow the field."