|| Eight ||

Several days after the incident at the Disc, the boys and (Y/n) find themselves at Whiz Chocobo Post. While the boys sat around a table, Death found herself sitting on the pen of the chocobo that had taken a liking to her during her first visit to the outpost. The bird chirped happily as it rested its head on her shoulder. She stroked the chocobo's feather, her head leaning against the bird's.

In the end, she hadn't told the others of the thoughts that plagued her mind during their visit to the Disc. It also seems the boys had forgotten her promise because none of them brought the subject up after they were safe. She knew their minds were occupied in finding the Regalia that had disappeared during their excursion of the Disc of Cauthess.

Unbeknownst to her, she hadn't realized the boys had chased after a black dog and vanished out of sight until she finally looked up. The table was empty, but she wasn't worried about them.

Suddenly, a chill shot down her spine and caused her body to go stiff. The familiar presence nearly had her tipping backwards and into the chocobo pen, but she grabbed the wooden slat she sat upon to steady herself. The chocobo turned its head in confusion as her gaze was directed to the area located behind the outpost.

Hoping off the pen, (Y/n) walked behind the building and peered down the cliffside. A severed arm was at the bottom of the cliff and a blood trail led to a thick and dense forest that was hard to see through in the distance. "Hiding, eh?"

Death leapt over the partly broken fence that was supposed to keep people from falling off the cliff and prepared to jump. One foot dangled over the edge when she heard Noctis' voice. "Whoa, whoa, whoa! What the hell are you doing?!"

(Y/n) didn't retract her foot as she answered. "There's a Wendigo nearby and I'm not letting it escape."

"We'll go with you!" Prompto shouted. The boy had seen the creatures for only a brief second and was frightened of them, but he knew Death shouldn't go alone.

The Horseman shook her head. "No. I'll be fine on my own."

Gladio placed a hand on Noctis' shoulder. "Remember what Gentiana said. We've got more important things to do and (Y/n) can handle that thing on her own."

The prince grimaced before sighing in defeat. "Fine. We'll find the runestones and then regroup-how's that sound?"

"Like a plan," the Horseman responds. Her back was still facing them as she couldn't tear her eyes from the blood trail. "Just use the summoning orb when you're done with your search."

"Will do," Noctis responded.

(Y/n) jumped off the cliff, startling the boys. Noctis dashed to the edge and expected to see her injured, but it was the complete opposite. There wasn't even a scratch on her as she smiled up at him. "You four be careful out there!"

"Says the girl who just jumped off a cliff! Why didn't you just take the path down like a normal person?!" The sapphire-eyed boy shouted from above as he was joined by Prompto, Gladio, and Ignis.

"Oh, please. "Normal"? I'm the farthest thing from it," she smirked. "Also, jumping down cut my time in half!"

Noctis sighed at her response. "You be careful, too, (Y/n)."

"Yeah!" Prompto shouted beside his best friend.

"I will. See you guys later," Death waved before turning and following the trail of blood, leaving the severed arm behind.

As the Horseman wandered down the trail, she searched for any signs that the Wendigo attacked someone or something. Amongst the putrid smell of the monster nearby, (Y/n) smelt something else. Her stomach churned at the odor as she covered her mouth and nose. Her eyes narrowed as she spotted a small portion of the blood trail that veered from the path. When she followed the trail, the odor worsened as she approached a bush.