|| Seventeen ||

The train pulled into Cartanica Station and the boys exited, knowing there was another royal arm in the area. As they left the train, the four split up before heading to the tomb.

Noctis wandered to the elevator that led to Fodina Caestino. He stood by the railing and peered down at the abandoned mine below. Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out the sable orb and stared at it as it sat in the middle of his palm. Memories of (Y/n) flooded his head as he held the small object.

Gritting his teeth, Noctis clutches the orb and raises his arm to throw it into the mine below. He winds up the pitch, but he immediately stops before he could release it. The boy couldn't bring himself to toss the last semblance of (Y/n) he had left. His anger dissipated, his watery eyes downcast. Tears threatened to fall as he stepped away from the railing and pressed a fist against his temple. His shoulders shook as he held his sorrow at bay with all his strength.

Before Noctis could turn on his heels and regroup with his friends, two arms wrapped around his torso from behind. A cold but familiar presence caused Noctis to gasp and nearly drop the orb in his grasp. He stumbled a bit, but the figure hugging him kept him from falling. A head rested against his back and he could feel something wet soaking through his clothes.

"If you hate me, tell me now and I'll leave. I'll never bother you and you'll never have to see me again. You've every right to be mad and all I want is the truth. Give me that at the least even if I don't deserve it," (Y/n)'s voice shook as she spoke. She sniffled as her arms tightened around Noctis, hoping he would simply speak to her after leaving without a word or an explanation.

Noctis' body tensed as he stared up at the sky, tears escaping the corners of his eyes. He clenched and unclenched his fists as his gaze slipped down to the ground. Using his strength, he pried (Y/n)'s arms from around his torso and stepped away from her.

The action tore at (Y/n)'s heart as she stepped away from the prince, tears streaming down her cheeks. Her shoulders shook as she tried to keep her whimpers under control. His actions against her were loud enough to speak for themselves and she wasn't surprised at the response. "I see... Goodbye, Noctis."

Turning on her heels, she sauntered away from Noctis without even looking back. In her mind, Death knew she deserved to lose Noctis after disappearing for nearly three months without showing she cared for him in the slightest. If she had left a letter explaining what she planned on doing, he possibly wouldn't have been as wounded as he currently is. Her freezing soul deserved no warmth and should have remained far away from Noctis.

(Y/n) walked up a small set of stairs and down the boarding platform to reach where she left Thanatos. The horse was patiently waiting for her return as he was hidden behind the platform to prevent humans from becoming suspicious. When she went to jump over the railing to reach her steed, the sound of running footsteps caught her attention. Before she could find the source of such scurrying, two arms wrapped around her small frame and crushed her against someone's chest. Smelling the familiar scent, she knew it was Noctis. She was shocked to see he came running after her.

"You're a dumbass..." The prince muttered. (Y/n) couldn't help but laugh lightly at the insult. The small, joyful sound caused Noctis to smile as he continued. "I wasn't tryin' to push you away."

"Then what were you trying to do?" She questioned.

"Give you a proper hug. Can't really reach you if you're behind me." Noctis rested his head against the top of hers as he continued to hug (Y/n).

"You reacted kinda late, didn't you?" Death inquired.

"Sorry. I was still in shock."

(Y/n) knew her sudden presence would surprise him, but she didn't know it would petrify him. "That's my fault for appearing out of the blue. I want to apologize for all that I've done. Ignoring your summons, not giving you an explanation, and... for what happened in Altissia. I should've been there, Noctis."