|| Fifteen ||

A/n: I think I forgot to mention this, but this is a short series that will include four books in all. Each book will have around 15-20 chapters and you can tell this one is coming to an end. There will be a large time skip soon, but I will make sure this story has a happy ending! Love you all!!!
~✨Celestial✨~
••••••••••••••••••••
Not able to catch up to (Y/n), the boys lost sight of her. "Shit... How can she outrun us in heels?!" Noctis shouted as they came to a stop. There were two paths and no one knew which one Death took. The prince tried to follow the scent, but the smell drenched the entire area and nearly caused him to gag. "Should we split up?"

"No. With (Y/n) truant, the creatures in the vicinity will strike without warning," Ignis responded. "We will venture down both paths if necessary."

"Eenie... meenie... miney... mo..." Prompto started, determining with path they should take first. After finishing the jingle, the sharpshooter chose the path to their right. "That way!"

"Guess we're goin' right," Gladio mumbled as they took off.

Halfway down the path, the four were attacked by a couple of Mandrakes. It wasn't a grueling task slaying the creatures, but it did put more distance between them and (Y/n). Once the monsters were slain, the group continued down the path.

The four spot a familiar figure as they stood on the other side of a tunnel that led to an open area. Noctis was the first to reach the Horseman as her body appeared stiff. He followed her gaze as he heard the cries of a Wendigo and something else. Prompto stood a few feet behind the couple as he saw two creatures fighting. "Is that a...?"

"Bandersnatch and a Wendigo," Ignis responded. "Skirmishing against one another."

As the five watched the battle, they could tell the Wendigo had the upper hand even with its smaller stature compared to the Bandersnatch's immense one. Blood poured from the larger creature's side as it tried to attack the other worldly monster. The Bandersnatch's steps were wobbly, the blood loss causing its large body to sway with each step. The Wendigo pounced and landed on its opponent's back, lodging its claws into the larger monster's thick, though skin. Without hesitation, the smaller creature hissed loudly before biting into the Bandersnatch's flesh. Blood spurted from the fresh wound as the creature wailed out in pain as it no longer could stand. It tipped over, landing on its side and shaking the ground when it made impact.

The Wendigo retracted its claws and teeth from the now dead Bandersnatch, crying out in victory. (Y/n) glared daggers at the rotting, bloodied monster as it began eating the corpse of the large creature. From behind her, she could hear Prompto gag at the gruesome sight.

"What a vile creature," Ignis muttered with a scowl.

"Just be glad you don't live in the Inner Sanctum. There're monsters far worse than the Wendigo that reside in the world between life and death," the Horseman commented as she summoned her scythe.

"Gotta admit-it made our job easier," Gladio commented as he followed (Y/n)'s action and summoned his broadsword.

"Yeah, but now we've gotta face that creepy, nasty thing!" Prompto cried out, gripping his pistol tightly.

"It's an easy kill, Prom," the Horseman reassures. "The only way to kill it is to chop its head from its body. If you cut off any limbs, it won't slow it down-that'll only anger it and its movement won't be affected at all."

"Let's begin, shall we?" Ignis inquired with a dagger in each hand.

"Ready whenever you are," Noctis responded, eyes bouncing over to (Y/n).

"Let's just hope I can fight in these contraptions," she responded, glancing down at her dress and heels.

Without waiting another second, the five engaged the Wendigo. The monster easily sensed their presence before they could land a hit and swiftly dodged. It wailed out in anger-its meal being interrupted. Blood covered its entire body as its red, glowing eyes bounced between the boys and girl in front of it. The creature set its sights on Prompto, earning a scream of fear from the boy as the Wendigo pounced in his direction. (Y/n) acted quickly and outran the monster, standing protectively in front of the blonde boy and raising her scythe just as the Wendigo landed a few inches in front of her. Its bloodied claws rammed into the blade, the strength behind the attack causing her to slide back in the dirt.