|| Twenty ||

With Death now in his arms, Ardyn vanishes. He heads to Zegnautus Keep, where he takes the elevator to the prison block. A menacing smirk crept onto the man's face as the door slid open and he stepped out of the elevator. Turning down the hallway leading to the cells, the chancellor called out to the only other prisoner in the entire keep. "You've company, dear boy."

In the farthest cell, Prompto raised his head as he heard Ardyn's taunting voice. Confusion was written across his face as he watched the man walk down the hallway with a body in his arms. Squinting, the blonde tried to see who the person was. As Ardyn continued his approach, the boy was able to tell who the chancellor had brought. His sapphire eyes widened in fear at the sight of the familiar girl. "(Y/n)..."

Ardyn grinned at hearing Death's name only above a whisper from Prompto. "Indeed, it is. Although, she is unobtainable at the moment."

Prompto took a closer look at (Y/n) and spotted the bullet hole in her forehead. He squirmed against his restraints, causing his wrists to throb in pain. "W-What did you do to her?"

"Need not fret," Ardyn started as he approached the open cell closest to the boy. "Our dear Horseman will be well in a handful of hours." Without a care for what happened, the man tossed (Y/n)'s body into the cell. Her body slammed against the hard floor as he closed and locked the cell door. The chancellor casted another bone-chilling grin in Prompto's direction before leaving.

Once Ardyn had left, Prompto struggled against the metal device that constricted his movement. He tried to peer into the cell the chancellor had tossed (Y/n)'s body in, but he couldn't due to the strange device. He bit his bottom lip, knowing she wouldn't be able to hear him in her current condition. His head slumped down, unable to do anything.

<-------<<<<<<<<<

A couple of hours later, (Y/n)'s eyes fluttered open. She gasped for air as she raised a hand and felt her forehead. The bullet wound was healed and left no scar. Next, she checked the back of her head to make sure all of her wounds had healed without any complications.

Death slowly sat up, scanning her surroundings. She didn't recognize where she was or why she woke up in a cell. Her legs felt like jelly as she stood up and used the wall for support. All she remembered was being shot by Ardyn and everything being consumed by darkness. Her mind was still a blurry mess from the bullet and she couldn't think of what happened while in her catatonic state.

(Y/n) nearly collapsed, but she was able to grab ahold of the bars before falling to the floor. She grunted in pain, her body aching as she supported it against the bars. As Death went to try and open the cell door, she heard someone call her name from down the hall. The sound of metal clanking accompanied her name as she tried her best to look down the hall. "Prompto?"

"A-Are you okay?" He asked in concern, his voice cracking from how dry his throat was.

"Me? What about you? All of us have been sick with worry about you. Noctis told me what happened and he feels terrible about it," (Y/n) replied. "Are you hurt?"

"Just a few scratches. I mean, I haven't been stabbed or shot in the head like you. The last time I saw you was when you were bleeding out with a sword through your stomach. And then, I see you with a bullet hole in your head. Are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm fine," (Y/n) said with a small smile. "This is the only time immortality is a gift. Give me a few minutes to clear my mind and gain my bearings, then I'll get us both out of here."

"Don't push yourself, (Y/n), please," Prompto replied in a shaky tone.

"I won't."

<-------<<<<<<<