|| Twenty-Two ||

After learning of Ardyn's circumstances, Noctis filled (Y/n) in on their luck in finding what was hindering his abilities. Now, the boy was able to summon his weapons and so were the others. During the entire conversation, Prompto seemed to be nervous. Death picked up on his body language and eyed him with confusion. "Is everything alright, Prom?"

The sharpshooter continued to fidget as he scuffed the tip of his boot against the floor. He glanced between Noctis, Gladio, and Ignis before spilling his secret. He removed his glove and revealed the barcode on his wrist as he told her of how he was meant to become a MT. During their conversation, Prompto couldn't look (Y/n) in the eye until the very end when he realized she hadn't reacted. Lifting his azure eyes, he saw Death smiling. "Y'know, you're taking to a girl who died a hundred years ago and was resurrected twenty years later to become the Horseman of Death. If you think you're a monster, that makes me the queen of monsters."

Prompto had to admit her response was odd, but it did comfort him. His tense muscles relaxed as he secured his glove. "So, you don't think of me any differently?"

"All I see in front of me is the same smiley boy I met several months ago. You're still Prompto regardless of what is on your skin. And last time I checked, you're a Lucian just like your friends. It doesn't matter where you were born-the only thing that matters is what path you decide to take and right now, you're walking the same path as all of us because you chose to."

The blonde was moved by (Y/n)'s speech and felt a few tears escape his eyes. "Thanks, (Y/n)."

The Horseman smiled gently. "Just remember who you are and forget where you're from. Focus on where you want to go and you'll never be alone."

<-------<<<<<<<

An hour passed as the group searched for the Crystal. Morosely, they hadn't been able to find a single trace of the artifact and were forced to find a place to rest for a short while.

Inside another sleeping quarters, Noctis glanced in (Y/n)'s direction. "Do you think it's been long enough?"

Death knew what the boy was referring to and tilted her head slightly. "It's been an hour. I'm not sure how long the process takes when an immortal from this world is fused with a monster from the Inner Sanctum."

"Why the hell would he merge his body with a monster that would turn him mortal?" Gladio asked.

"I don't think Ardyn thought his plan through. He believes his willpower is stronger than the Wendigo's, but it seems he is wrong. Now, the creature is slowly taking over both bodies and will overtake his immortal one, making him easier for us to handle. He's powerful, but he's no longer immortal," (Y/n) replied as she sat down in the bed beside Noctis.

"Once Ardyn's gone, all we have to do is find the Crystal," Prompto stated. "And then we can go home!"

"Home is kinda in shambles right now, 'member?" Gladio said.

"We can rebuild it," Noctis proclaimed.

(Y/n) smiled as she leaned forward with her hands in her lap. "All we have to do is locate the Crystal and defeat Ardyn, then we'll be on our way out of this hellish place."

"Any idea where they would keep the Crystal?" Gladio asked everyone.

"The farthest place from the front door-the top floor. We need to find the central elevator and head to the top of the Keep," (Y/n) stated.

Suddenly, a familiar demonic chuckle was heard and Death jumped to her feet. Prompto swallowed nervously as he stared at the door. "W-What was that?"

"Ardyn-he's found us."

The boys hopped to their feet and summoned their weapons. (Y/n) approached the door and just as she summoned her scythe, a clawed appendage pierced the metal and grabbed her. The Horseman's scythe clattered to the ground as she was yanked through the hole in the door.