Haunted Shadows

Melinda May POV

Opening up Daisy’s door, my eyes land on the broken agent sitting on her bed hugging her knees towards her chest. It had been a week since she had woken up, Simmons had allowed her to stay in her new room in a try to make her feel a little bit better. Something that didn’t help at all. “Daisy?” I called out, a try to get a reaction from her with no luck. Shaking my head, I walked over to her bed for plan B.

Dumping the water, I had had with me over Daisy’s head, this action finally pulled her back into the real world once more. “What the hell!” Daisy called out and she looked around herself in confusion. “Welcome back to the reality.” I told her, sitting down in front of her. Daisy looked at me, the confusion was still clear in her eyes. “You have been in your own world for a week.” I told her, taking the towel I had hanging over my shoulder and dropped it over her head.

Carefully I started to dry her hair and I could feel how Daisy was slowly relaxing. “Do you want to talk about why you are shutting everyone out?” I asked her after a few minutes of silence. “It’s nothing.” Was the answer I got back, and I just rolled my eyes. Moving the towel so that I could have a proper look, I could see how she was looking down on her hands and her eyes were unfocused. “You have to talk to someone, what ever it is you are trying to deal with is eating you up.” I told her, taking my hands back to myself once more.

“You are freaking out Coulson and Trip with the no talking and rarely moving around when anyone else is awake. Simmons is on the edge of breaking down completely, seeing how you are acting and having Fitz in a coma at the same time.” I continued, and Daisy simply closed her eyes at that. Taking a deep breath, I tried to stay calm, it would not help to get upset over something like this right now. “Either you talk to me or I’ll call in Natasha or Pepper. It’s your call.” I finally told her, this made Daisy look up at me once more. A hint of horror was showing in her eyes.

“You wouldn’t.” She pointed out, her voice was low and it was already clear that she didn’t believe her own words in it all. Lifting one eyebrow I just looked at her and Daisy let her head fall a little once more, the towel was hiding her face once more. “That was a low hit.” She finally mumbled, and I could not help but to smile a little.  “It’s the only way to get you to talk.” I told her, taking hold of the towel once more as I heard how Daisy let out a heavy sigh. “It’s not much to talk about, well, not much that I do want to talk about. It’s in the past, finding Victoria like that just made me remember and I’m just trying to work my way through it all once more.” She answered me, and I rolled my eyes.

“Shutting everyone else out isn’t good for you.” I told her simply. “Don’t even think about saying what you are thinking right now.” I quickly added when I saw that she was about to say something. “If Clint or any of the others had been here, they would have pointed out once more that we really are mother and daughter.” Daisy pointed out, smiling just a little and I just rolled my eyes at it. “It’s going to be hard having new agents around here.” I mumbled, and Daisy just shook her head at that.

“If I promise to consider telling you what is going on, in my own time, would you let all of this go for now?” Daisy asked, finally looking up at me properly and I nodded my head at that. “I can agree on that.” I answered her, and Daisy let out a sigh of relief, with a hint of a smile. “Then there is one thing I want to know.” She then asked, and I nodded my head as an answer to ask her question. “What happened?” She continued, and I leaned back a bit. “You remembered how I said that Coulson, Trip, Fitz, Simmons and myself returned back to the Providence at the same time only to find a dead Victoria and you missing?” I asked her, and Daisy nodded her head, taking off the towel from her head and throw it on the floor.

“The second we found out that Ward had taken you we started to track you down once more. With no luck for a few hours, until I got a call from Darcy, she had found you in her apartment.” I started to tell her, and Daisy’s eyes grow big at that. “I have no memory of getting there.” She mumbled out, it was clear that she was trying to figure out what had happened. “Coulson and I headed to her apartment and took you to the tower. Do I need to point out how worried your team was?” I asked, and Daisy shook her head at that. “They took care of you during the time we tried to take down Ward and Garret. Things went sideways, and you see how that ended.” I continued to tell her, and Daisy nodded her once more.

“How did he?” She asked carefully. “We asked him and Simmons just to put a tracker on the BUS and the to get out. They got caught and tried to escape, Ward made sure the pod that they were hiding in was sent down into the ocean. According to Simmons, Fitz sacrificed himself so that she could get out safely. Fury was the one that found them in the ocean and he brought them here.” I explained, sadness and regretted was starting to build up in her eyes at that.

“Don’t, if you had been with us you would have been on the mission Coulson, Trip and I were doing.” I told her, knowing what she was thinking of in this moment. “Fury contact us the new place and we decided it was for the best to take you here to. Congress is trying their hardest to find any type of dirt on the Avengers and finding a woman that is not supposed to existed badly hurt in the building would make things a bit harder.” I finished to tell her.

“So, what will happen now?” Daisy asked, she had moved so that she could be leaning towards the wall instead. “We will take it slow, find agents that are still loyal to S.H.I.E.L.D and to see who still wants to work for the greater good.” I answered her, and Daisy nodded her head at that. “Sounds like a good plan.” She told me, and I could see that she was slowly returning to her normal self once more. “Good, now change those cloth. Dinner will be ready soon and I know for a fact that Coulson will be happy to see you walk into the room.” I told her, Daisy smiled a little at that and I stood up from her bed.

“One more thing however.” I told her, and Daisy looked at me carefully. Putting my hand into my pocket I pulled out a small cube before throwing it towards her. “I found this one laying beside your body when we found you at Darcy’s place.” I told her, and Daisy looks at the cub in her hand, one eyebrow was up. Seeing that Daisy was already more interesting in the cub I shook my head and left her room, one problem was done. Now it was time to take care of another. Turning around the corner I started to walk towards Coulson’s office.