Facing the past

Daisy Johnson POV

Leaning towards the wall my eyes closed, I listen to the silence that had finally taken over the orphanage. It had been around 72 hours since I had arrived at this place and the only thing I wanted was to get the hell out of there and head back to the base. I had only seen the kid I was here for once, he was locked up in his room as a punishment for something he had no control over. Taking a deep breath, I could hear a faint sound of someone coming towards me, keeping still, the sound grew louder and louder. Opening my right eye, I could see a small shadow coming towards me in the hiding spot I had found myself in once more.

“Mrs Diaz?” The shadow called out in surprise, stopping in the movement it was doing. “Hello there Daniel.” I told the young boy, smiling towards him I moved a bit to the side so that there was space for him to sit down beside me. The young boy was looking at me with a mix of horror and confusion in his eyes. “It’s alright Daniel, I promise you. You are not in trouble, not as long as I’m around.” I assured him, keeping my voice calm and even as I spoke. The young kid nodded his head slowly, not fully sure that he could trust in what I was telling him. Not that I could blame him in this moment, I had been in the same position as him, once upon a time.

It took a few more seconds before he sat down beside me, smiling to myself, I leaned my head back towards the wall and opened my left eye too. “I often spend hours up here you know, it’s the perfect hideout from the nuns and the older kids.” I then told him after a few minutes of silence. Feeling how Daniel turned to look at me, I looked at him and gave him a sad smile. “Yeah, I grow up in this building too.” I answered the unasked question that was shining in his eyes. “The nuns had no information on me, they found me outside of the door when I was only a baby, so they named me Mary-Sue Poots.” I then continued to tell him, and I could see how his eyes grown bigger in the dim light.

“I know, a horrible name. I decided on my own to be called Skye when I got older. Not that the nuns would call me anything other then Mary-Sue. However, there was a few people who did call me Skye.” I explained and seeing how Daniel nodded his head at this, however, there was confusion in his eyes once more. “But didn’t you introduced yourself as Everly Diaz when you got here?” Daniel asked and I could not help but to smile at this. “It’s a fake name so that the nuns or anyone else wouldn’t find out who I am or what I’m doing here in the first place.” I started to explain to him, leaning a bit forward so that I could have a better look at him. “My name is actually Daisy Johnson.” I then told him in a low voice. Daniel nodded his head once more, an act that made me grin a little.

“So, you got adopted?” He asked and I shook my head at that, leaning back towards the wall once more. “Nope, I ran away.” I told him simply, there was no need to hide anything from this kid, not if I wanted him to fully trust me. “I realised I was a pretty good computer hacker back in my early years. I made some fake id and other important papers, got myself a job so that I could get a van. I lived in that van for many years.” I told him. Thinking back to the old times was something I had not done since the Avengers had found me. “I made a few bad decisions in my young age, joined a group of hackers that wanted to expose every single secret that the government and other organisations kept hidden from people for their own good.” I continued to explain, Daniel was looking up at me in silence, taking in every single word I said.

“I was soon found by people that took me in, people that have become the family I always wanted. However, there was a time when I come face to face with my birth father. That is how I know what my name should have been all a long.” I finished telling him, glancing towards Daniel I could see that he was looking down. “That the two of us have grown up at this place is not the only thing that we have in common Daniel.” I then told him, this made him look up at me once more and I gave him a small smile. Lifting my right arm, I kept it levelled and aimed for a tin that was standing right in front of me. Concentrating I started to change the vibrations around it, so it shakes, I then start to push it together. “Wow!” I heard Daniel mumbled beside me and I let my hand fall once more.

“We are both people with powers, powers the nuns here would never understand.” I told him, leaning towards the wall I could feel how my arm was hurting after the use of my powers. Daniel’s head fell forward once more, and I carefully put my hand on his shoulder. “Daniel, I only know that you have powers. I don’t know exactly what you can do. However, I can help you.” I told him, keeping my voice low and even once more. “I froze them all.” He said, voice so low I almost didn’t hear him. “Froze?” I asked him, just to make sure I had heard him right.

“Everyone in the classroom except for me froze in time. But it was only those who was in the classroom, everyone else was moving about outside and the clock was still ticking on as normal.” He explained, and I could feel that he was shaking beside me. I pulled him close to me, giving him a hug as a comfort. “Shuu, it’s alright. I got you.” I told him in a low voice. “That is not the only thing I have done.” He told me after a few deep breaths, and I looked at him, waiting to have him tell me on his own accord. “I blow up a few things when I got angry.” He finally finished, making me just hug him closer to my side.

“And there is nothing bad about that, you are just figuring out how your power works. When I first got my powers, I destroyed a building and the same fell apart all around me, that is not the first building to end up being destroyed by my powers and more there will be.” I told him, smiling a little over it all. “If I remember the score of buildings, I have taken down its over 10 now.” I then added and I could feel how Daniel was looking up at me at that. “10!” Was the only thing he could get out and I could not help but to laugh a little, he really was just a small child.

“Yes, 10.” I told him with a smile. “I think my team and family is having a bet on how many there will be at the end of the year. So far I haven’t taken down a building.” I told him and I could see that Daniel was smiling a bit now. “What will happen to me?” He then asked, the smile was gone once more, and he was looking down at the floor. “I can take you away from this place, you will come with me to where I live and work. We will figure out exactly what your powers are and find a way for you to control them without too much trouble.” I started to tell him, and Daniel looked up at me once more. “If you want to come with me that is.” I then added.

Daniel quickly started to nod his head at that, a big smile was spreading on his face and he soon hugged me back. “I’ll take that as a yes then.” I said with a laughter. “Now, I need you to head back down to your room. Pack everything you have and try and get some sleep. I’ll take care of the nuns first thing in the morning.” I told him, Daniel nodded his head at this. Giving me final hug, he started to head away from the hiding spot once more. Taking a deep breath, I leaned my head towards the wall once more. “Well then, seems like I will have a lot on my plate once more.” I told myself before closing my eyes, knowing I really would need some sleep if I was to deal with Sister Margareta in the morning.

-X-X-X-X-X-X-

Knocking in the door into Sister Margareta’s office a couple of hours later, I heard the old nun tell me to enter. Taking a deep breath to calm myself down and keep my pulse in a steady line I opened the door into the office and stepped inside. “Good morning Sister. I have something very important I want to talk to you about.” I told the old nun as I closed the door behind me once more. “And what would that be Mrs Diaz?” The old nun asked, turning around I could see that she had not looked up from the papers she was reading. “I’m done with my paper so I will leave the orphanage.” I told her, at this Sister Margareta looks up from her papers. “Oh, already done?” She asked, being clear that she was happy about hearing this news.

“Yes, however, I’m not leaving this orphanage alone.” I then added, holding my head up high. “Excuse me?” Sister Margareta asked, the confusion was clear. “I said I’m not leaving this place alone. I’m taking one Daniel Turner with me.” I told her once more, crossing my arms in the progress. “You can’t just take kids however you like.” Sister Margareta told me, and I could not help but to roll my eyes. “And yet you can leave out children to family’s you don’t have proper paper work on.” I told her, my voice growing dark and I started to walk towards the desk. “What are you talking about, we always check the families.” She answered me, a little to fast for my liking.

“Tell me Sister, do the name Mary-Sue Poots ring any bells to you?” I asked her, seeing how Sister Margareta froze up at the mention of my old name I smiled. “Of course, you do, that incident was quite big. But you know what, I managed to pull my life together.” I then added, leaning over the desk a little. “Mary-Sue Poots.” Sister Margareta managed to get out and I grin. “Not any more Sister. My name is Daisy Johnson.” I told her and pulled out my badge. “And I’m taking Daniel of your hands.” I then added, standing up once more I turned around and headed for the door. “It was not good to see you again Sister.” I called over my shoulder as I opened the door.

Looking down a little I could see Daniel standing there and I smiled down towards him. “Come along kid, lets get out of this place for good.” I told him before I started to head for the front door, Daniel walked beside me all the way towards my car.