23.

"Halloween party this Friday. My house." I sigh as Kate joins me on the way to class. She smiles widely, clapping.

"Hell yeah! But wait, what do I wear." she worries to herself. I wonder about whether or not to invite Truitt. He's been surprisingly great the past few weeks since the breakup, other than some minor flirting here and there. But maybe its too soon..

"A sexy Lego Princess Leia!" Kate says excitedly, smirking.

"Katie, Legos are never sexy. But, I'd like to see you try and pull that one off." I wink, pinching her cheek playfully.

. . .

"I see you've got your costume already. Wanna give me a preview?" I smile, biting my lip. He laughs lightly, smiling crookedly as he puts the material away. I frown slightly. He's been weird since last week.

"Are you okay? Talk to me." I approach him, sitting next to him on his bed. I gently stroke his hair and he relaxes a little, shoulders slumping.

"I'm fine." he lays down, shifting away from my touch. He held a sharpness to his tone which makes me pause to think whether or not to ask him.

"Is this about Robin..?" I ask carefully, and he visibly freezes.

"Who is he? Did you have a fight or someth-" he cuts me off with a cynical scoff.

"What?" I ask, getting annoyed. He shakes his head, closing his eyes.

"Nothing. And you don't have to worry about Robin, okay?" He sits up again, walking towards the window.

"Well, if this Robin is the reason you've been so weird lately, I'd like to-"

"Just drop it, Zoey." He says firmly, turning around and glaring at me with angry eyes.

I'm taken back at first, before feeling anger build up inside of me. I roll my eyes, standing up.

"Fine. Keep your fucking secrets." I say, and storm out of his room.

I call Kate, asking her to meet me at the costume store.

"Hey." I smile when I see her brown waves bounce in the sun. She lifts her sunglasses, resting them on top of her head, taking a sip from her latte.

"So. Whatcha goin' as?"

"I have no idea." I sigh, pursing my lips at all the costumes.

"Why are all of these so...showy." I groan, looking at a female pirate costume, with half her boobs spilling out of her little white blouse.

"Halloween! Sexy!" Kate dances weirdly, making me laugh. Kate loves taking every opportunity to show her body off, and I don't blame her. Girls envied her. Me on the other hand...

"Any luck with your sexy Lego shit?" I say sarcastically, laughing when she looks at me with faux- offense.

"Yeah no you were right. I'mma just go as....this!" She holds up a Red Riding Hood costume, and I smile.

"And I shall be...Freddie!" I pick up the box, finding my size.

"Nuh-uh. No way." Kate shakes her head, grabbing the Freddie Kruger costume and putting it back on the rack. I pout, about to fuss until she puts another costume in my hands.

"A bee?" I raise a brow, looking at it.

"It's cute and flirty. Come on let's go pay." She drags me to the counter before I could protest.

. . .

When I hear two knocks on my door, I sigh, knowing it was Hayden.

"It's open." I call out, looking down at my books.

"What you up to?" He takes slow steps, looking around my room.

"Homework." I say dully, tapping my pencil on my thigh repeatedly.

"Your room is nice. Just wish it was next to mine." He smiles, finally taking a seat on my stool. I shrug in response.

"I don't know, I kind of like the space." I smile sarcastically, rolling my eyes. I hear him sigh a small laugh.

"I'm sorry for being so harsh earlier. I'll tell you about Robin, but I just-"

The doorbell rings, cutting him off.

My parents greet whoever's at the door, and I furrow my eyebrows.

I get up, walking out to see who it is. Hayden slowly follows me outside.

A woman appears through the front door, dressed in a fitting, sleek black dress.

She was drop dead gorgeous. Hayden finally joins me, looking down at my parents and the woman from where we stood upstairs.

"Who is she?" I say in a daze, looking at Hayden.

When he laid eyes on her, his face changed

When he laid eyes on her, his face changed. His eyes widened, lips parted slightly, dumbfounded.

"Robin." He said in a breath, and I gasped internally. I look back at her.

Robin was a woman. Is a woman. She is Robin.

And then she saw him.

. . .