38.

"Mom-" Hayden and I walk through the doors of my house finally, after spending 30 minutes in the car trying to prepare for what was coming.

"Where the hell have you been? Why did you cut school, Zoey?" She asks in worry and anger, and I look at her confused. Her eyes land on Hayden, and she looks between us as if trying to make sense of the situation.

And then I realise it. She didn't know. I mentally facepalm myself, inching a little further away from Hayden.

"Is she here?" Dad appears from the hallway, sighing in relief when he saw Hayden with me.

Yup... definitely doesn't know.

"I didn't feel well. I was walking home when Hayden saw me and offered to take me to get some food." I think quick, trying my hardest not to stumble over any of my lies.

"If you didn't feel well, you should've called me. Or at least let someone know! I'm sick of this, Zoey. You're secretive, you've been acting out-"

"No, I'm not. You need to stop holding that one time against me, Mom." Guilt spills into my throat knowing all the things I've kept from her.

"It's my fault, I should've brought her home straight away." Hayden chimes in, giving them a sorry smile.

"No Hayden, thank you for taking care of her."

Taking care is an understatement..wow I need to stop.

She barely looks my way, taking deep breaths.

"Just go to your room. Sleep off whatever it is that's going on with you."

I sigh, not wanting to argue, walking past her. Dad squeezes my shoulder lightly as I pass him to get to the stairs.

"Drink?" I hear dad ask, and I look down at them just as Hayden glances up at me. He gives me a small smile, mouthing an 'I love you' secretly. I smile back at him, retreating to my room and collapsing onto my bed.

. . .

A soft knock on my door pulls me out of the long daze I was in.

"Dinner's almost ready, your mom wants you downstairs soon." He says, his voice soothing and low. I motion for him to come in, and he tip toes up to my bed. The bed dips when he sits.

"You okay? I didn't realise how tense things had gotten between you two.." he caresses my cheek, his palm warm against my face.

"I'm fine." I smile down, sighing after a while.

"Hay, we need to tell them. Tonight."

He takes a sharp, deep breath in, releasing it slow.

"What's wrong?" I ask when I notice him tense up. He immediately covers it up with a smile, shaking his head.

"Nothing. I love you, let's go have some spaghetti." He gets up, and I follow him.

"Better enjoy it, might be our last meal together.." he tries joking, but I don't share his smile.

Because I knew there was a possibility it really might be.