28.

I start brewing some coffee, feeling a slight hangover kick in. That was until my parents and Kate sludged in, making mine seem nonexistent.

"Wow..you guys look horrible." I lean against the counter, watching as they each fall into their seats heavily, groaning.

Katie immediately burries her head in her arms, sleeping off at the table. Dad seemed rather okay, getting up to get his hangover shake started. Mom was basically Katie 2.0.

"Kate, wanna go for a dip?" I ask, looking outside at our sunny coastal weather.

She simply nods her head without looking up.

I turn to pour my coffee, when I hear him come in. A smile instantly creeps onto my lips, and I just couldn't fight it.

"Morning!" He says loudly, and they all groan, making me laugh.

"Jeez, tough crowd." He mutters jokingly, stealing a gulp from my coffee, wincing at the heat.

"Hi." He smiles, licking his lips, making my knees go weak as usual.

Suddenly, the events of last night flashed behind my eyes: his skin on mine, his lips on my neck, my fingers in his hair, our scents intertwined under the sensation of absolute bliss.

His hair was still wet from his shower, slicked back messily. His fresh mint shampoo filled the air. I clear my throat when I realised I was staring, taking my cup back and making sure I brush my shoulder against him as I pass.

"Up." I say, pulling on Katie's shoulders. She groggily stands, and I bring her to my room to get ready for the pool.

. . .

"You seem different." Katie studies my face, I can just make out her eyes behind her shades. We were spread out under the sun, engulfed in the hot, humid air. Kate already had a natural tan to her skin, while I simply looked dead pale most of the time.

"Different how?" I laugh lightly, smiling.

"Happier." She shrugs, her head falling back down onto the chair. Her brown stands were golden in the sun.

I sported a simple black bikini, feeling slightly uncomfortable in it. I kept my arms folded across the small folds on my belly, which Kate scolded me for.

"You're never gonna get an even tan!" She pulls my arm down and I laugh.

"Oh my god." She mutters, shuffling beside me, and I lift my head to see what she was gawking at.

Hayden starts walking over, and Katie immediately begins fixing her hair and her bikini top to showcase her boobs. I feel a pang of annoyance hit me slightly but brush it off when he reaches us, his eyes gave me a once over before I saw a slight blush hit his cheeks. He covers it up, raking his fingers through his hair.

"Your parents and I are heading to town for a bit. Need anything?" Hayden asks, directing his question mainly to me, but Kate decides to chime in anyway.

"I'm alright, thank you. Though, I did need to go shopping for some lingerie...nevermind, I guess you couldn't get those for me." She bats her eyelashes at him, and he visibly gets more awkward. I roll my eyes, feeling the annoyance creep back in. She's never been this forward before. He gives her a tight smile, looking back at me with scared eyes. I stifle my laugh.

"I'm good too. Have fun." I smile, and he flashes me a loose grin.

"Why is he so hot. How. How is he so hot." Katie fans her lips as we watch him walk back into the house, his back muscles flexing underneath his tee shirt as he moved.

"Could you stop thirsting over him and put some sunscreen on my back?" I nudge her shoulder with my palm, and she smiles sheepishly.

"Whatever."

. . .

"I've been meaning to tell you guys.." Hayden says as he slowly sits back down across from me with his wine glass. We all gathered in front of the TV to watch Cheaper By The Dozen after dinner.

"I'm so thankful to you guys for letting me stay with you the past few months. So thankful. But I think it's about time I found my own place." He smiles, and my face hardens as I look at him. He doesn't look back at me.

"Oh, Hayden, you could never be a burden-" my mom begins, but he waves her off.

"Oh it's not just that..I just feel like six months has been long enough." This time he looks at me, but it was only a glance before looking back at my parents.

What did that mean? Has he had enough of me?

I feel an all too familiar lump form in my throat.

"Where do you plan on going?"

"Well, actually.. I've got a place."

What?

"Paid the deposit last week."

They continue talking about the topic, but I find myself drowned out of it. I excuse myself after a while, going up to my room.

As soon as my door closes, tears began falling heavily from my eyes. I felt tight in my chest, it was almost painful.

He comes in ten minutes later, but it only makes me cry more.

"Zoey, I was gonna tell yo-"

"And somehow you just thought it would be best you told me when my parents were around?" I shout at him in a whisper, my arms flailing aggressively to make out that I was angry.

"Why are you crying?" He asks, now concerned and taking steps closer to me. But I dodge him.

"Six months is enough, huh? Fuck you, Hayden." I spit, and he looks confused.

"What are you talking about?" He says defensively, squinting at me.

"You've had enough of me, so now you're just leaving?! Screw you!" I push him hard against his broad chest, but it came out more like a hit. And I keep doing that, until he holds my arms in place by my side.

"Zoey, I'm not leaving you!" He says, looking deep into my eyes.

"What?" I sniffle, and he smiles.

"I'm moving to 56th Ave." He laughs lightly, letting go of my arms when he knew it was safe.

"That's 20 minutes away." I say, more to myself, in relief.

"But I guess since I've had enough of you, maybe it's best you shouldn't come over at all." He jokes, feigning anger. A small smile cracks on my lips, and I feel embarrassed. I cover my face in my hands, shaking my head.

"I'm so sorry." I laugh a little, and he gently lifts my head up to look at him, wiping my tear stained cheeks with his thumbs. I caress his chest where I hit him.

"I don't think its even the slightest bit possible for me to have enough of you. And soon, I think you're gonna wish it was." He winks, laughing before kissing me.

We smile against each other, before he breaks away to give me a hug. And all I wanted was to stay in his arms.

. . .