37.

Anxiety builds in the pit of my belly as I walk through the school doors on Monday morning.

I see Katie immediately, talking to a group of popular girls we used to make fun of. Classic.

She looks at me, rolling her eyes and looking down at her shoes.

Okay then.

"Hey..is your phone broken or something?"

I gasp, looking at Truitt.

"You scared me!" I push him slightly, taking a deep breath.

"Well..?" He looks at me with his dark eyebrows furrowed.

"Look, Tru..that night at the resort..it was lovely, and it was really great catching up with you. The old you, but-"

"But. Why is there always a but?" A bitter smile grows on his lips as he runs his tongue over his front teeth.

I keep myself from rolling my eyes at his dumb question.

"I'm with someone new." I say bluntly and quickly, I wasn't even sure he caught it.

But when he stares at me, a certain darkness casting over his expression, his jaw clenched tight, I knew he did.

He covers it up with a mocking laugh.

"I'm gonna call your bullshit on that one, sorry." He pinches my cheek lightly, and I move out of his reach.

"Believe what you want, Truitt. But I'm sorry-"

"Who is he then, huh?"

"You don't kn-"

"Does he go here?"

"No-"

"Then he won't know. Come on, Zoe. You and me-" My breathing hitches, as does my anger, when he cuts me off again, and again

"Truitt, there is no you and me! Not anymore, and there never will be a 'you and me' ever again!" I scream, earning many looks and glances. He looks around nervously, before glaring back at me.

"Fuck you, Simpson. You slut. You fucking cheated on me with him, didn't you?" He raises his voice for the last part, shifting the attention back at me. People let out soft gasps and laughs. I let out a scoff, shaking my head.

"Un-fucking-believable." I mutter, turning around and storming towards the exit. Katie avoids my stares, snickering along with her new friends.

I punch the doors open, the cool air hitting my heated face. My knuckles immediately sting from the impact, but I don't care. I whip my phone out to call the only person I wanted to see, only to find an anonymous message waiting for me on my lockscreen.

My eyes furrow at the dark, slightly blurry photos, trying to make sense of them. And when I do, my heart nearly stops.

Hayden and I in my room on Halloween night.

. . .

"At least they got my good side." Hayden examines the photos of us, giggling as I hit him.

He made sure to wrap my bruised knuckles as soon as he saw them.

"This is serious." I pace around the apartment, running my fingers through my hair in frustration for the hundredth time.

"Baby, sit dow-"

"No! Somebody fucking knows about us, and they're trying to threaten us!" I yell, feeling another rush of anxiety surge through me, making me feel sick.

"How are you so chilled out about this?!" I ask him, watching as he gets up calmly and walks over to me. He puts his hands on my shoulders, guiding me gently towards the couch, pulling me into his lap.

"Somebody knows about us, yes. But there's no point freaking out over it, is there? You were gonna tell your parents about us anyway, right?" He kisses my shoulder, then plants light pecks over the bandage on my small hand. I sigh, leaning back into him.

"I just thought I'd have more time to figure out what I wanted to say to them. You know, so they won't slaughter you to the point of no return, at least."

He chuckles, combing through my hair soothingly.

"It's gonna be okay. Whatever happens, we're in it together, okay?" He rests his head against mine.

 Whatever happens, we're in it together, okay?" He rests his head against mine

"Okay."

My phone pings twice, and I break away from his embrace to check.

"Get home." - Mom

"Right now." - Mom

"Holy fuck." I begin panicking again, and Hayden immediately checks on me.

"She knows."