41.

"Hayden I saw your car in the lot, open up." I knock again, and my lungs stiffen when I hear footsteps.

He opens the door, and as soon as I see his face, tears come to my eyes.

"Hey, come here

"Hey, come here." He says softly, pulling me into him.

He closes the door behind us, my face was buried in his chest. The scent I'd grown to love so much filled my nostrils, and it was all familiar again. This was Hayden. It was also the closest thing I've felt to home in weeks.

"I'm so sorry." His voice cracks, and I realise he's crying too. I hug him tighter, and he does the same.

"It's okay." I smile up at him, and he kisses me deeply. We finally let go of each other, and my eyes land on all the boxes.

"You're moving again?" I ask, rubbing my teary eyes.

He gives me an unreadable smile, before taking my hand.

"Hayden.." I try, but he hushes me.

"You deserve the world." He kisses my forehead, then my hand.

"You deserve to be with someone you can actually be with without limits.." tears leave his baby blue eyes freely, and I start to panic.

"What are you saying?" My lip wobbles as I say it, knowing where he was going with this.

"Zoey, I love you. I'm so glad we had this, it's been an honour falling in love with you, and being loved by you..." He smiles through his tears, struggling.

"Hayden don't do this." I cover my mouth to stop myself from letting out a sob.

"We have to say goodbye now, Z."

"Hay please, I need you, don't do this-" he pulls me into him again, hushing me softly as I sob into him.

"It was Kate, she sent the texts." I say, pulling away. He looks shocked for a moment, before shaking his head.

"I'm so sorry." He says, wiping my teary cheeks.

"Hayden you're all I have."

"That's precisely my point, Z. Us being together...look at what it's done!"

"You said you'd always be by my side!" I push him, and something comes over me. I keep pushing at him, trying to get a reaction out of him but all he does is take it.

"I didn't know it would be this bad. Zoey your parents are never going to accept us. I'm not gonna do that to you. I'm not gonna make you choose."

I step back, breaking down.