44.

I knew I couldn't stop him. But I wouldn't accept that that was our last goodbye. No fucking way.

I had three days. My injuries were almost fully healed, it was just sore. I could go see him.

"Zoey." Mom comes in, along with dad surprisingly.

"Hey guys, thanks." I say when she puts all the stuff away.

"I wanted to tell you something. I need you not to pull any tantrums." He said in a condescending tone. I keep myself from glaring. Mom sighs and leaves the room.

"What is it?" I ask carefully. I notice some bruising on his knuckles. I think back to Hayden's face, how beaten it was. I stop myself from bringing it up.

"Where did you get those?" He stops, staring at my gifts from Hayden. My breath catches.

"Truitt came over earlier." I lie quickly.

"Yeah." He says, indicating he didn't buy it. But he doesn't linger on the subject.

"Anyway, as I was saying. I'm sorry I haven't been there for you lately. I just haven't had the greatest time comprehending everything that's happened."

"Yeah. I know you tried." I say sarcastically before I could stop myself.

"Oh, wow, well I'm sorry Zoey. I'm sorry I couldn't understand how my sweet baby girl could fuck my best friend, that's all." He says plainly, his lip twitches slightly. I sigh, years rimming my eyes. It seemed to happen automatically when the topic came up.

"Well, we can just act like it never happened. I'm willing to forget everything. I miss my daughter. Can I please have her back?" He starts tearing up as well, offering me the first smile in what seemed like ages.

I can't help choking up, leaning into his hug. I sniffle, before wondering what changed.

He gets up, brushing my hair out of my face before smiling and getting up.

"You know, him moving away, it's for the good, Zoey. You'll know it later." Before I could even think of a reply, he was gone, shutting the door behind him.

My lip starts to wobble.

I call him.

"Hayden." I cry.

"Zoey, we cant-"

"I'm so sorry" I cry harder, trying to be quiet.

"What happened?"

"I'm sorry for all the pain I've brought to you, and if I ever made you feel stuck or trapped. Hayden I love you, and I get it now. You need to go. I need to let you go."

"Zoey-"

"You'll always be the one that got away. I love you Hayden. Good luck."

He goes silent on the other end, and I take that as a good time to cut the call. And as soon as the line ends, I let out a heaving cry into my pillow, one that made me ache.

But I'd never felt so much pain and relief at the same time before.