Chapter 18 - I'll Always Save You

(Annabelle's POV)

Connors brought me up to the roof with him. I held the Ganali device tight in my arms. I couldn't let Connors get this, if I did then it would all be over, everyone would be infected. Connors placed me down and I backed away.

"Give me the device or I'll force it out of your grip." He said to me. "I don't want hurt you, so just give it to me." I backed up a little more and then ran for the door. I opened it and started to run down the stairs. I reached a hallway and ran down it looking for an elevator or more stairs, anything to get me away. Connors smashed through the window next to me. I screamed and fell to the ground, covering my face to keep it safe from the glass. Unfortunately I wasn't quick enough and a piece nicked my cheek. I felt little droplets of blood slowly drip down my face. The Ganali device had fallen from my hands but it was closer to me. Connors took a step towards me and I grabbed the Ganali device before he could. "Anna I don't have time for games, just hand it over."

"No." I spat out. "Like hell I'm going to let you infect everyone in the city."

"I'm not infecting them, I'm saving them." Connors explained. But I was not fooled and he was not going to convince me.

"How so?" I asked trying to stall him until Peter got here. He couldn't be too far away now just as long as there were no obstacles stopping him from getting here.

"Eveyone will be equal, no more weaknesses to separate them." Connors practically cheered.

"Turning everyone into giant lizards isn't the answer." I spat back. "The only way we will all be equal, is if people learn to accept one another."

"I'm done trying to explain this." He stated and held out a...claw? "The Ganali device, Anna."

"No! Didn't you hear me the first time?" I yelled. Connors seemed to be done trying to persuade me, because he grabbed me yet again. I didn't scream this time, I just kinda sat there as I was brought to the roof yet again. When we reached the roof Connors went over to the door and locked it. He held me in one....claw, I guess you could call it and used the other to rip the Ganali device out my hands. He put me on the ground and began to hook up the device. I wasn't done trying to stop him. While he was busy hooking up the device I tried to sneak around him, hoping to grab it. And with my luck, that plan failed because Connors noticed me.

"Stupid girl, you don't know when to give up." He complained and used his tail to send me flying. I flew a few feet, hit the ground with thud and continued to slide across the roof. Unfortunately I slid right off. I let out a blood curdling scream and tried to reach for the edge of the roof and failed. I didn't stop screaming.

"Belle!"

I don't know who called my name at that moment, I thought it was my imagination. I closed my eyes as I felt the air rush by me, awaiting my death but then it stopped. Someone caught me. I opened my eyes and found myself in Spider-Man's, no, Peter's arms.

"Peter." I whispered and wrapped my arms around his neck.

"I told you I'd always save you." He reminded me. Peter brought us up to the roof, where Connors was still programming the Ganali device and placed me down carefully. "I want you to go hide, ok?" I nodded and crouched down behind some boxes. I peeked out from where I was hiding as I watched Peter fight Connors. It wasn't looking good for Peter at the moment. Connors had both Peter's arms trapped and his tail was wrapped around his throat. I could see Connors' mouth moving but I couldn't hear what he was saying. I picked up a rod that happened to be sitting next to me. As I started to stand up, a hand on a my shoulder made me stop. I looked up and saw Captain Stacy. He shook his head and placed a finger on his lips telling me to be quiet. I remained behind the boxes as Captain Stacy approached Peter and Connors.

"He's not alone!" I heard him say and he began to shoot at Connors allowing Peter to break free. Captain Stacy and Peter both began to fight Connors. They knocked him down and began to freeze parts of him. I noticed Captain Stacy pull out a vile containing a blue liquid and handed it to Peter. The antidote! That meant Gwen was safe. Peter took the antidote and ran to the Ganali device. Connors emerged completely unharmed and approached Captain Stacy as he continued to fire. Connors took his claws and jabbed them into Captain Stacy's abdomen.

"No!" I shouted. Connors left Captain Stacy and chased after Peter. I ran from my hiding spot to Captain Stacy. I kneeled down at his side and placed my hands on the wound, applying pressure. I had to stop the pressure.

"Anna it's no use." Captain Stacy said.

"No, there's still time, we can get you help, you just need to hold on." I refused to let him die. I knew I was crying at this point. Captain Stacy moved my hand from the wound and held it. "I don't hate you." I whispered. "I want you to know that. I've known you my whole life, I may not have know you were my father till recently but you've watched over me ever since I became friends with Gwen." I cried.

"I don't deserve to be called your father after what I did to you." He said.

"You're right you don't, but that doesn't mean I still can't call you my father. So you have to live and make it up to me, to give me a reason to call you my dad." There was a loud crashing noise. I looked over and saw Connors had fallen. The antenna began to fall over with Peter still on it. "Peter!" I yelled. Peter fell off the roof but before he fell too far Connors saved him.

"You really love him, don't you?" My father said. I nodded.

"Yeah, I do."

"You should stay away from him." I looked at my father.

"Why?" I asked.

"He's going to make enemies, dangerous ones. If those enemies ever got a hold of you, to use you as bait for him, you'd get hurt. I want you to stay safe." He said.

"I can't just stay away, I see him everyday, I love him." I said.

"I'm not telling you have to, I'm just warning you that you should." He warned me. I hugged my father. I don't know why the next few words came out of my mouth, they just seemed natural. "I love you dad."

"I love you too. Take care of Gwen for me."

"Ok, I promise I'll look out for her." When I released him from the hug, I realized he was gone. I cried silently. I felt a presence approach me from behind.

"Belle?" I turned my head to face Peter. He saw my tears and immediately walked over and pulled me into a hug. "I'm sorry." Peter whispered. I just shook my head and buried it in the crook of Peter's neck. After a few minutes I sat up and wiped my tears.

"You should probably go before others show up. You gotta protect your identity." I reminded him. Peter nodded and stood up. I smiled at him.

"I'll see you later, ok? Get that cut on your cheek checked out." He said and tapped his face.

"You should stay away from him." My father's voice rang through my head.

"Ok, I love you." I said. Peter kissed the top of my head.

"I love you too." Soon after he left, the police showed up. They took Connors away first. They then came over to me and my father. They picked up my father's body and placed it on a stretcher and took him away. I was taken to the hospital to get some stitches for the cut on my face. I was released soon after. I spent the rest of the night at Gwen's, to help comfort her and her family in the loss we all suffered. The day of the funeral I almost didn't show up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Over 1K votes.....oh my god! I can't thank you enough! I love you guys!

One more chapter to go! It should be up in a couple of days! (Half of it is already written!) But before I post that, I'm going to go through all the chapters and check my grammar and spelling. I decided I'd just do this at the end of the book to make it easier.

I'm testing all week, so I have a bunch of half days. During those half days I'll try to write up the final chapter!

~Kai