Part 15

Sophia's POV:

Nibbling my lower lip, I closed my eyes remembering the last day I was with Jared. After showing up by surprise in my house, after taking care of me and after making love to me — as Jared described it — he asked me if I wanted to have a relationship with him. Obviously, my answer was yes, and I was dying to spend more time with him.

Although now, four days later, my nerves consumed me. We had always been alone, and now I was going to spend more than a week by his side, but this time surrounded by many people. Among them, his brother; and meeting your boyfriend's family is something that makes you fearful. What if he doesn't like me? He could tell Jared something that would make him change his mind about me. But that wasn't the only worry I had, how will the tour life be like? Jared once told me it was crazy, what if I didn't fit in there?

I shook my head, trying to stop thinking about all the doubts that were hovering in my head. I had to live day to day. For now, I had to finish a project before leaving work this afternoon, since I wouldn't return to the office in several days.

I was fiddling with a pen when someone touched my shoulder. I turned my head to see who it was, and I saw my co-worker, Camille. "Huh?" I mumbled.

"Pierre wants to see you." She informed.

"Oh, okay. Thanks." I replied getting up from my desk to go to my boss's office. Once I knocked on his door and he gave me permission to enter, I spoke: "Did you want to see me?" I was still standing next to the gate.

"Yes, please, have a seat." Pierre said pointing at the chair in front his desk. While I was going to do what he had said, I glanced at the clock on the wall, in half an hour the working hours will be over. I was already anxious because I was supposed to meet my boyfriend after work, Jared arrived at Paris that morning. And now my boss wanted to talk? I just hoped it wasn't bad news.

"Is everything all right?" I asked trying not to overthink.

"Yes, I just had a meeting with a potential client... he wants to redesign all his house. As you know, you're one of the most talented here, and apparently this client knows it too." I frowned. "Quoting his words: one of my requirements is to have Sophia Dumont in my employ." I raised my eyebrows surprised by such a specific demand. "I know you're in a middle of a project right now, but it would be a beneficial contract for our company; since it will be outside the country and we would open doors for future projects if this goes well."

"Wait, just so I'm clear... are you asking me to drop everything and leave the country?"

"It would be temporary. Look, I'll be honest... lately, we have had financial problems, and if we arrange this contract, we could save the company. I don't know why this potential client wants to hire us when there are other prestigious companies, but we need it." I nodded understanding his point.

"Okay, but I'd need to know more, like: Who is he? Where is his house? When would I start?"

"His name is Bartholomew Cubbins, and he has required confidentiality. About when you'd start, he would want you to be there on December 1st."

"But that's in three weeks." I thought out loud. I just planned the two-week trip with Jared in France. Which meant I would only have a week to prepare everything. "There? Where?" I asked noticing my boss wasn't telling me the place. Pierre tensely scratched the back of his head.

"The United States."

"What?! How am I supposed to bear all the costs in such short notice? Flights, find an apartment and whatever else? That's insane!" I said rubbing my forehead. This was stressing me out already.