chapter three ❁

chapter three: home for the summer

an/ just a quick lil note before the start of this chapter, i am writing this book in the deadass winter and this book takes place in the summer, it feels a little weird to be writing this in the most opposite time of year lmao. also this book takes place in June of 1979 ! so that is why there will be older references in this book. but i hope you guys enjoy this chapter !

All the remaining girls in the camp and I, exit the dining hall and go back down the same stone steps. It felt like the heat increased and my bag became twenty times heavier.

God, where is our cabin?

In front of the line, were two female counselors. One of them was the girl from before. While the other looked unrecognizable.

"Alright, girls!"

We all stop walking, and look up to find the voice.

"My name is Erin, and this is Julia!" She points to the girl next to her. Julia, gives us a small wave and pushes the glasses up the bridge of her nose.

"We are your female counselors!" Julia smiles lightly and grabs a hold of her clipboard.

"Okay, the following names please follow me." She took a deep breath and began to read a list of girls names. Surprisingly, my name wasn't on her list.

Half of the girls from the line exit. Only leaving ten girls left, including me. Julia, takes her set of girls away leaving Erin and us.

"Alrighty ladies, follow me to our cabin." She says, and she leads the rest of us. It only took a few more minutes, to arrive to our cabin.Our new home for the summer, was actually in a very nice spot. It was close enough to the lake, but, a little farther away from any of the other cabins. Erin approaches the door and gives it a quick budge and it finally opens. We all file inside, and it almost seemed like on cue, we all took a deep breath.

"This is your new home for the summer, ladies."

Before I could react, girls were rushing all around the cabin. Tossing their bags on open beds, trying to get the perfect spot. I pick up my bag quickly, and run to a top bunk. With one quick move, I toss it up onto the bunk and climb up the ladder to the bed.

Phew, got out of that easy.

I look below and around at the other girls. They all found beds, and have already started unpacking.

Well shit, that was quick.

We all spend about fifteen minutes unpacking our things, and setting up our areas in the cabin. After finally unpacking my bag, realization finally hit me, I was now officially in summer camp.

My bed was in an angled direction, to my left was a small window which gave me a small view of the lake. Well, on second thought, I couldn't see the lake fully. Bushes covered the front of the window. So it wasn't a perfect view.

Above my head, was part of the wood paneling of the ceiling. It was decorated with carvings and scratches. I tried reading them, but it looked like someone painted over them with brown paint. Faintly, I could see one message. I rubbed my fingernail over the paint. Watching the chips float down on my bed.

I pinched my eyes trying to read the message.

I wish I never saw it.

I had sex here 7/4/78

I gagged and quickly hopped off my bed replacing the mattress, with the empty bunk below me. Quickly, I placed my old mattress with the empty bunk below me, hoping nobody would notice.

"Everything alright, camper?" I hear a voice behind me.

I gasp and quickly cover my mouth, "Yes, yes, everything is swell!" I lie.

As I turn to face the person behind me, I notice that the entire cabin had been watching me.

Oh, brother.

I hear a giggle and see the girl from the dinning hall. It was the same girl that laughed at me for almost dropping my bag.

"Well, there is something you don't see everyday."

I snap at the girl, "Shut it, Blondie."

"Make me." She threatens.

Erin grabs my arm, as a sign to tell me to stop.

"Okay, okay, enough. I don't want to fill out the paperwork. When you two end up almost killing each other."

The cabin was deadly quiet, you could hear a pin drop.

"I'm going outside." I say sternly.

I push through the girls, in hopes of them not seeing the anger on my face. Especially the blonde girl.

I sit myself on the stone bricks against our cabin. But to my surprise Erin follows me outside.

"You okay?" She asks sweetly.

"I'm okay, but thank you for caring." I smile.

"Well, it's actually my job." She laughs, "But I also really like you."

I was dumbfounded, "You do?"

"Yes! I'm glad I have a camper close to my age. I have been doing this shit for three years, and not once have I had a girl in my cabin old enough as you." She pauses and pulls out something from her pocket.

My eyes scan over the small little baggie in her hands. It looked almost like crushed up lettuce. Then I finally realized.

It was weed!