chapter six ❁

chapter seven: crushed apple

It took me awhile to fall asleep last night, my bed squeaked every time I moved. Which I know became rather annoying for my cabin mates.

I was one of the first few to wake up early. I almost had a panic attack waking up in a bed in a strange and unusual place. I laid on my side and looked out my window, the sun was just rising. The sky was finally turning a bright blue. The dark gloomy sky, was almost non-existent. We had no clock in our cabin, so to my assumption it was six in the morning.

The blankets that were provided were more comfortable than I had thought. Our beds came with, two pillows and a thick wool blanket. I made myself into a burrito and snuggled up with my pillows. I didn't want to start the day, nor have the  intentions to.

Suddenly, I heard someone hop off their bed and land on the hardwood with a light thump. I tried identifying the person by the way they walked. But, that was impossible. The person padded around the cabin going to each individual bunk. I was confused at first on why someone kept coming by. I closed my eyes and laid absolutely still. The person came up my ladder very quietly.

"Another one done."

I kept replaying the voice in my head. Trying to identify who it could be. So far, I have only heard a few of the girls voices in the cabin, and it wasn't them.

Could it have been, Erin?

I rolled over on my side and felt near my feet a piece of paper. I pull the paper close to my eyes trying to read the small print, here is what I read:

     Good morning campers! Welcome to your first morning at Camp Rosewood!

  Thank you for taking part in our summer camp. We are sure to make this the best summer of your lives! Our counselors, are here to provide you with an amazing and fun experience here at our camp! If this is your first year here, welcome! But, if you have visited us before, welcome back! We have a fun, exciting summer planned and this summer will be the best one yet. Everyone in the camp, will take part in our fun activities and events. Here is a list of some of the things you can look forward to this year!

-Team sports

-Kayaking

-Canyoning

-Camping in the forest

- Visiting our waterfall close to the lake

-Having night tours of the forest

and many more!

We hope you will enjoy your summer here at Camp Rosewood, and we hope to see you again next year!

What the hell is this?

Other girls in the cabin started to wake up and some of them noticed the paper too. I scanned around the cabin for Erin, but had no luck finding her. I climb down the ladder and land on the hardwood gracefully. The girls around me started climbing out of their bunks and getting dressed. I had almost forgotten what we do next. My stomach rumbled to remind me to eat.

I slip on my flip flops and reach for my hoodie. Luckily it wasn't that hot yet, it usually didn't start to get hot till ten, maybe eleven in the morning.

"Where is Erin?" A small brunette, with thick eyebrows and wide rimmed glasses, asks.

As if on cue, the door opens and Erin comes in with two big white trash bags.

"Hey guys, sorry I'm late!" Erin pants and drops the bags to her feet, "I was just picking up your uniforms."

"Uniforms for what?" I turn my head to the voice of a tall redhead.

"Team sports! But we can figure all that out after breakfast. Speaking of breakfast." Erin stops and looks down at her watch. Her eyes widen and her jaw drops, "Holy shit, breakfast is in two minutes. We can't be late! C'mon girls, let's go!"

Erin rushes us out the cabin in seconds, some of the girls were still in their pajamas and had no shoes on. Our cabin was about a five minute walk to the dining hall, but closer than any other cabin to the lake.

"What will happen if we are late?!" Someone in the group asks, as we are running up the hill.

"John will kill me, if we come in late!" Erin shouts.

We ran so fast and so hard, one of the girls almost fainted. All of us, ran as if our life depended on it. Well our lives did, none of us wanted to be screamed at by John.

I regretted wearing a hoodie. I sweated through the entire thing by not even one minute of jogging.

Erin directed us to go in front of her and be the first ones in the dining hall. "Go in girls, just find somewhere to sit and act natural." Erin whispers and opens the doors for us.

"Okay campers the breakfast on the menu today i-"

John stops speaking and looks at us, midst holding an apple in his hand.

"Well, cabin three!" Everyone in the dinning hall stops and stares at us. I was in the front, next to the short brunette.

To my assumption, she appeared to be thirteen.

"Glad to see you have joined us!"

John yells at us, but it is hard to tell if he is angry or excited. I look in the crowd to see if I knew anyone. Luckily I didn't spot Cliff and James. But in the very front row, I see Jason with wide eyes.

"What is your excuse, cabin three?"

John takes the apple that is in his hands, and squeezes it till it crunches. The juice pours down his arm and onto the hardwood.

The girl next to me bursts into tears and hides her face in her shirt.

I flick my eyes up to Jason and his eyes are still wide.

"Come here." He mouths and pats the open space next to him.

I don't think about it once. I leave the group while everyone is watching my every movements. I plop down next to Jason and my nerves simmer down.

The hall stays silent for a few more moments. Until John dismisses the other girls to have a seat.