chapter four ❁

chapter four: my little sunflower

"Isn't marijuana bad for you?" I question Erin.

"It's a medical condition."

Okay Erin, sure it is.

She takes a quick puff and exhales the smoke.

"But you're a counselor! You can't be smoking!"

Erin shushes me quickly, "I'm eighteen so it's alright. Just don't tell John. I just don't want to be known as the counselor that got kicked out of camp, by her stepdad."

Stepdad?!

"Wait, wait." I stop Erin before she takes a hit, "John, the bearded man from earlier, is your stepdad?!"

"Yes! The entire reason why I am a counselor, is because he got me this job." She takes another hit, and lets the smoke float over her head. I shake my head and crinkle my nose from the smell of weed.

"So, can I ask you something, Erin?"

"Jesus Lelia, how many more questions are you gonna ask?" She laughs, but turns serious, "What's up, girl?"

"Why did you give me back my Walkman and knife."

She takes another hit, the smoke goes over our heads. We watch it linger over us for a few moments, "I told you, I liked you, Lelia. Why, do you want me to confiscate your things again?"

"No, I was only wondering." I smile, "Thank you again, by the way."

"Sure thing, my little sunflower." Erin smiles and awards herself with another hit.

I giggle, "Sunflower?"

"Yes, you are my little sunflower, Sunny for short."

"Don't call me Sunny."

"Why not?"

"Because, I said so."

"Okay," She pauses and brings the joint to her lips, "Sunny."

"No, Erin, my name is Lelia not Sunny!"

We both erupt in laughter, but our giggles quickly stop. When we hear a crash in the cabin. Girls screaming, quickly fills the empty camping ground. Erin jumps to her feet, and quickly brushes off her pants.

"Bug, bug, bug!" was the only thing that I heard, through the mix of the screams.

"Hold this, I'll be right back!"

Erin hands me her joint, as she rushes into the cabin. I stand there like an idiot for a few moments, not knowing what to do.

Should I toss this in the bushes?

No, that'll start a fire.

Should I start smoking the joint?

Millions of options rush through my head, and before I could come up with a decision. I heard footsteps crunching on the gravel.

"I think this is Erin's cabin." I hear a deep voice say.

"Was this her cabin last year?" Another voice questions.

From the sound of it, it appeared to be two boys voices. But I thought boys weren't supposed to come in our camp?

Two boys that looked around my age, come around the corner. They stop walking, they look at me, then the joint. Then me again, then the lit joint.

The tallest one wore all denim, and his long brown hair cascaded over his shoulders. I don't understand, how that kid was not sweating to death. Wearing all denim in the summer heat. The other boy, was a lot shorter compared to the other one. He had a nice smile and was wearing a white tank top, matched with blue jeans. The little boy clears his throat and smiles.

"Well hello, pretty lady!" He waves.

I know the only reason why he was talking to me, he wanted a hit! Why else would this odd little kid, be talking to me?

"No, you are not having a hit." I resort and hold the joint behind my back

"Lelia!"

I jump, as Erin slams the cabin door behind her.

"I see you have met, Clifford and Lars!"

The two men approach us, and I quickly suck in my gut and fix my hair. I'm not gonna lie, the tall one was pretty cute. The little one seemed nice but rather annoying.

"It's Cliff." The tall boy groans, "Erin, how many times do I need to tell you?" Cliff laughs and lights a cigarette.

Lars squints his eyes, "I don't remember you from last year. Who are you?"

I cross my legs together, and clear my throat.

"Uh, I'm Lelia." I smile shyly and turn my head to Erin's almost finished joint.

"Hi, Lelia." Cliff smiles, and taps his boot on top of my shoe.

"Hello, Cliff." I smile, but it quickly diminishes when Lars chimes in.

"Lelia! What's poppin' babe?!"

"The only 'poppin' I'm going to be doing is popping you in the face."

Lars eyes widen and he quickly hides behind Cliff's large figure.

Erin snorts and hands her joint to Lars, "Lars, don't be a pussy." Cliff murmured, while crunching his finished cigarette with his boot.

Lars stays silent, behind Cliff and a cloud of smoke floats in the air behind him.

"Lelia!" Lars chimes after a few moments of silence.

"Oh lord, what?" I don't even know, what this little boy wants now.

"Want my last hit?"

Lelia and Cliff chuckle, before I could even comprehend what he just said.

"No man, I'm good, I like my lungs."

"C'mon, Lelia!" Erin urges.

"Yeah Lelia, do it, do it, do it.", Cliff chants, which leads Erin and Lars to do the same.

"Do it, do it, do it!"

I couldn't take the madness anymore. I grasp the joint from his fingers.

Erin laughs, "I wouldn't think she would do it."

I can't believe the situation that I am in, not even two hours into camp, and I am already being peer pressured to smoke.

I take a deep breath and bring it to my lips. As soon as the smoke fills my lungs, I start to cough violently. Lars, Erin and Cliff, erupt in cheers and laughs.

I didn't think smoking weed, was that big of deal. Apparently smoking for the first time is some big triumph. Well, from the way these three made it seem. Smoking to them is recreation but to me it's the biggest, scariest and smelliest thing in the world.

Lars comes behind me, and wraps his skinny arm around my back, "Welcome, to the cool kids club!"I wiggle under his grasp and inch closer to Cliff.

"I don't think he means, 'welcome to the cool kids club', Lelia." Erin nudges Lars' foot.

"I think he means, 'Welcome to Camp Rosewood."