chapter twenty two ❁

hi guys, just wanted to let y'all know i have been updating my chapters and fixing some things with this book. i felt like i was dragging on my chapters and they were too short. so i combined a few to make my chapter count lower. nothing has changed with the plot line, but i just combined some chapters together to make one super chapter lmao. might not make sense, but basically i had too many chapters that were veryyyyy short. so i combined them and made them longer. hope this clears up any confusion with my chapter number count. but hope y'all enjoy this chapter!!

chapter twenty two: aey, oh, let's raid the music store

We all watch with a careful eye, as James coolly strides his way past the cassette isle. All of us, not including James, squat down behind a semi-tall shelf that held older vinyls that reeked of dust. All of us squat down and shimmy close to each other to prevent us from getting seen or caught by any of the employees.

"Everyone okay?" Kirk says as we all huddle close.

"I'm okay, you guys?" I say looking around at everyone packed together.

"It's all good over he- OH MY GOD CLIFF!" Erin shrikes, "Get down, people can probably see you!"

"See wha-?"

Erin reaches around Lars and yanks Cliff to the ground. Landing on his back with a hard thump, Cliff hops up and positions himself on his knees.

Cliff's face begins to boil with anger, "What was that for?!"

"You weren't getting low enough and your head was practically peeking over the shelf!" Erin reaches over and slaps Cliff on the shoulder.

"He can't help it if he's a twelve foot tall giant! Leave him alone!" Lars says in a tempestuous tone.

Cliff rolls his eyes, "I am six feet tall, dumbfuck."

"Guys, shut up! Can we just get out of here without you guys fighting?!" Kirk practically spits.

"Then why don't you tell the Jolly Green Giant to get down!" Erin begins to argue with Kirk. I can practically feel time ticking away. I can feel the short, sweet moments we have of being together, away from the place that trapped us, being wasted away over a stupid fight. But the more and more we argue, the quicker we could get caught.

"Do you want us to get busted?!" I pipe in separating the semi-unpleasant fight resonating between my best friends, "Can we just get the fuck out of here?!

"Lelia is right, let's just drop this so we can get the hell out of here."

Lars surprises me when he speaks up first. I would never expect him to take my side first, even before Kirk.

The cashier stands sternly behind the counter and keeps a careful eye on all of the customers coming in and out of his store. He flaunts the stern expression on his face that resembles the look of an angry old man, a grandfather perhaps. I watch a and the line of busy customers, eagerly wait in the long line with their handpicked items. Beyond James, is the front door and he is only steps away. Swiftly, he takes a look to the right and nods at the older looking gentleman at the cash register.

"What is he doing?!" Erin pipes in a low wiper, "He just wants to get busted, huh?"

"James is fine, he looks normal to me." Kirk resorts.

Before we could comprehend it, James already walked through the propped open front door and made it swiftly and safely outside the music store. With fists thrown in the air, gleeful hops off the concrete and a bright heroic smile plastered across his face. James smiles and gives us a thumbs up.