chapter ten ❁

chapter ten: oh, kirk

Kirk jumps to his feet in an instant and pulls me up from the steps. We make our way down the flight of steps and away from the main building.

"Are we gonna get caught outside of our cabins, Kirk?"

"I think we will be okay, just keep your eyes open."

We speed walk away from the main building of the camp and we suddenly found ourselves near the dining hall. The cabins were a little far away from our spot. The boys cabins weren't far from the dining hall, but the girls cabin was merely on the other side of the camp. Since it was night time at this point, it became absolutely freezing out. The trees surrounding the camp brushed against each other, blowing pines everywhere.

It was a refreshing change to hear Rosewood so quiet. It was almost eerie.

"Well, today was fun." I smile, hoping to rid the awkwardness.

"Yeah, if we only realized we were sitting in the same spot talking for hours, then we wouldn't be in this mess."

I giggle, "You're right."

"But honestly." Kirk stops walking and pauses, "I am enjoying being out here with you."

"Really?"

"Mm hmm." Kirk hums to himself and continues walking.

At this point, we manage to walk through the main area of Rosewood and approach the boy's camp.

"Kirk?" I say and he stops walking.

"Yes, Lelia?"

"Do you mind walking me back to my cabin? I don't want to go alone."

Kirk gets silent and I fear the answer he is about to say.

"Are you serious?" His eyebrows furrow in confusion.

Oh no.

"What?"

"Of course, I will!"

I smile in relief as I give Kirk a half hug, "Thank you."

We make our way past a few of the resided boys cabins and closer to the rippling lake that was only yards away. My senses calm theirselves down more once I am reassured with the sounds of the calm waters that echo through the eerily and pitch black camp.

"Kirk, are you really sure we won't get caught?" I ask once more.

"Yes Lelia, I am positive. It isn't that hard to keep qui-"

I hear a thud and the sound of Kirk's shoes skidding against the ground. My eyes pan over to Kirk, "Fuck, fuck, fuck!" Kirk hops on one foot whilst holding the other, "I tripped over a rock!"

"Kirk, shut up!" I hiss and grab his foot.

"It hurts!" Kirk musters out a half girly scream and I begin to cackle loudly.

"Stop laughing!" Kirk pants, "I didn't laugh at you when you were in this scenario!"

"I don't care!" I laugh and grab my chest, "I'm laughing at your ridiculous scream!"

"Lelia, I swear to g-"

"Who's out there?!" A deep, grizzly voice shouts.

I whip my head to the voice, the bright light of a flashlight blinds my sight.

Oh shit.

It took me a moment to recognize the voice. It was John!

"Lelia, down!"

Before I could react, Kirk pulls me to the ground.

Kirk positioned himself next to me. But every few seconds, he would inch himself closer and closer to me.

"Kirk?"

"Shhh." Kirk pulls his finger over his lips.

"Who's there?" The flashlight scans the area that we are in. It reflects over the trees and even through the bushes we were laying behind.

I suddenly hear Kirk's girly scream in my head again and I accidentally giggle out loud.

"Hello?!" John shouts louder.

Kirk's eyes widen, with a quick move, he jumps over my body and places his hand over my mouth.

"Do you want to die?!" Kirk shouts in a whisper. I begin to laugh harder and Kirk's hand becomes firmer around my mouth.

"Whoever is out there, I will find you!"

I feel Kirk's hand become tense around my mouth. We lay in that position for what felt like forever. But it was probably only a few moments.

Finally, John stops searching the area. With the click of his flashlight turning off and the sound of his feet leaving the area, I knew we were safe. Once Kirk removes his hand from my mouth, I could finally breathe again.

Kirk jumps up and brushes the dirt off his jeans, "Lelia, we could have gotten caught!"

"You expect me not to laugh at your feminine scream?"

"Well Kirk," I smile as we walk up to the porch of my cabin.

"Tonight was great." Kirk grins and follows me to the front porch.

"Yeah, it was pretty rad."

"Hopefully hang out again. You know, without the both of us being injured and almost getting caught by John."

I crack a smile at Kirk's grin, "You have a point, but I still had fun, regardless."

"Goodnight, Lelia."

"Goodnight, Kirk."