chapter twenty ❁

this chapter is dedicated to james hetfield. not sure if all of you guys heard, but from metallica's official instagram, james is in rehab for addiction treatment. all my thoughts and prayers are with the hetfield family and james !!! lots of love for our, papa het !!!

chapter twenty five: the outside world

Rosewood was not far from the main roads and not far from downtown. At most, it was about a ten minute drive away from the camp. As of right now, the van reeks of Cliff's stale weed and beer. But, in those ten minutes the van ride went from smooth sailing, to total shit storm. First, Cliff spilled his beer over himself and the seats, and James got cigarette ash all over the backseat. To make matters worse, Lars kept complaining of being sick to his stomach and that he was about to 'shit bricks' if I didn't pull over soon.

Once we arrived in town, it was not that crowded with people over the age of thirty. Young adults and teens alike, all swarmed the busy diners and boutiques, taking upon the sweet deals and food that this downtown had to offer. The streets were decorated with brightly lit white lights, that lined the sidewalks. The river and forest trees still guarded downtown, just like it does at camp. It seemed like this place was out of this world. But I never realized how beautiful the world outside of Rosewood was. How can a place, that is practically a prison for teenagers, be in the small town protected and kept away by forest trees?

Everyone departs from the van and I am the only one left sitting inside. The crisp air enters through the drivers window and I am the only one left puzzled. Of course, the other guys have probably escaped Rosewood many times before, since this isn't their first year here. I cannot remove my eyes from the line of shops on the border of the lake. Suddenly, the gentle tapping on the passenger window, snaps me from my daze. Cliff gets my attention and gives me the hint to meet up with everyone.

Climbing out of the van, I land on the concrete with a light thump. Everyone sits on the hood of the van and I finally get closer I catch onto the conversation.

"So what's the plan then?" James asks and squishes out his cigarette with his boot.

"We can catch something to eat at the diner up the street?" Kirk suggests.

"No, I want to start shopping first!" Erin pleads with us but nobody cares to listen.

"No! The shops are pretty much closed right now!" Cliff begins to argue with Erin and I scoot closer to Kirk.

"Why can't we fucking shop first?!"

"Erin, you wear the same fucking thing everyday! What else do you need to buy?!" James argues.

"Guys, I think I'm gonna puke." Lars grabs his stomach but nobody listens.

"Why don't we just split off. We can do more things that way." Kirk says and grabs my hand and I find myself blushing like an idiot.

"I agree with, Kirk." I say, our hands both squeezing together.

"But I planned this trip for all of us to be together!" Erin pushes out buttons more and more and it's clearly pissing off James.

"Fine, then we will do whatever the princess wants!"

"Um, guys." Lars pipes in and begins to pace in a circle.

"You know what!" Erin slams her hand on the hood of the van and crosses her arms, "Then I'm not going anywhere."

"Well you know what-" James stops, mid-speech and focuses his attention on Lars.

"You alright, dude?" Cliff asks.

"I think I'm gonna puke." Lars says in a half panic.

"Well, there's a garbage can right there." James points to the trash right behind Kirk and I, "Nobody is stopping you."