chapter fifteen❁

chapter fifteen: change of pace

Once I made it though the door, I must have interrupted something, because every girl gave me the look of death, as I barged inside like a mad-woman.

"What are you guys doing?" I pant and kick my shoes off.

Aria utters out a squeal and dabs a cotton ball on her nail, "Well, we were painting out nails, until you scared the hell out of us!"

Sabrina cackles and hops up from her bunk, "Why did you rush in here so suddenly? Was Bigfoot chasing you?!"

"No, it wasn't Bigfoot! I just need to talk to Erin, where is she?"

"I heard my name!" Erin pops her head out of her bunk, "What do you need, kiddo?"

"Oh, thank god," I climb up the ladder to her bunk and notice that Erin had just made her bed.

"You alright, L?" I cross my legs and grab her pillow, squeezing it tightly in my arms. My vision quickly becomes glossy and my head dips down into the pillow, as it seems to absorb my tears like a sponge.

Erin's tone turns from reassuring to serious in a split second, "Lelia, what's going on?"

"I can't say it." My muffled voice, barely peeking out from within the pillow croaks out.

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"I can't, I can't, I can't say it."

"Lelia," Soft fingers grasp each side of my head and pull me up from the security of the pillow. My eyes lock with Erin's and with a swift move, she takes the pillow out of my lap and tosses it behind her head, far away from my reach.

Great, now I really have to talk.

"Promise what I tell you, doesn't leave this bunk."

"Of course." Erin says softly, her fingers wiping under my eyes, removing the unneeded tears.

"Pinkie promise?"

Erin and I lock fingers and a sigh escapes her lips, "Yes," Erin draws back the curtain of the bunk.

"Okay," I pause and take a breath, "Kirk said he loved me."

"He what?!" I slap my hand over Erin's lips, she removes it quickly, lowering her tone to a whisper, "He said he loves you?!"

"Yes!" I clutch my hand over my chest, "What do I do?!" I begin to panic at this point, "Do I say it back?! Should I ignore him for the rest of summer?!"

"Lelia, Lelia! Calm down!" Erin says as she grasps my wrists.

"What if John finds out I escaped his office?!"

Erin begins to panic and frantically begins to search around her bunk.

"What are you looking for?"

"My keys!"

"Keys for what?!"

Erin grabs one of her pillows that's leaned against her window, "What do you need your pillow for?"

"I needed this," She says and digs her arm inside the pillow case. Erin pulls out a small, black, bag. Laying it flat on the bed, she unzips it, revealing it's contents.

"What do you need?" I ask, pointing to the bag.

"Just shut up, I know what I need." Erin dumps out the items in her bag. A small pocket knife, a small baggie of weed, and a bottle of pills. "Don't worry, they are only for headaches." Erin smiles, as she sifts through her things. Underneath all of that, was a chain, with two keys tied at the end.