chapter five ❁

chapter five: soggy burgers and new faces

The rest of my first day at Camp Rosewood went by like a flash. At one point, I was being peer pressured to smoke. Then, I was already in the dining hall, eating dinner, with my cabin mates. All of the counselors, either worked during the 45 minutes of eating. Or, they were chatting with the other counselors.

"Okay, campers! Come upfront to the bar and get your dinner!" John yells into his annoying bullhorn.

The girls in the cabin sit up from their seats and approach the bars of food. I peer around, and notice the other campers doing the same thing. I slide out from the bench and follow the girls to the other side of the hall.

We were handed silver trays and were escorted down a line, to pick up our food. I reach for a cup of fruit and place it on my tray. Before I could reach for a drink, I almost get toppled over by someone. My tray slips out of my fingertips and my fruit spills out of the cup.

"Really, asshole?" I say, as I scoop up my grapes and strawberries.

"Lelia, Lelia it's me!" The familiar voice was none other than Cliff.

"Cliff!" I shout and kick his leg, "What the hell was that for?!"

"I saw you in line and I wanted to say, 'hey'. What, am I not allowed to say anything?" His grin turns sinister, in a split second. "Did I embarrass you? Did I not give you enough time to fix your hair?"

I feel my face turn hot. With one swift move, I flip my hair over my face.

"You didn't embarrass me at all, Clifford." I challenge.

Cliff raises his eyebrows, "Is that a threat?"

"What do you think?"

His mouth drops in shock, "I'll take that, thank you very much." Cliff says, as he takes one of my grapes.

"I hate you." I murmur to myself, in attempts to hide my grin.

"You love me?!" He gasps obnoxiously.

"You're annoying."

I slide down the line and pick up a bun. Next to the metal tray, was a stack of cooked hamburger patties. With metal tongs, I gently pick up a patty and place it on my bun. As I made my way farther down the line, I picked up more condiments for my burger, like onions and pickles.

I must have been really fixated on making the perfect burger. I had forgotten that Cliff was still there. Finally, at the end of the row, I grabbed some silverware and napkins. Making my way, back to my table.

"So, what do you think about Rosewood, so far?" Cliff asks, as he takes a seat next to me.

"Much different than I expected." I say and take a bite, "I didn't think, I would meet anyone here."

"Well, you have Erin, myself and Lars. So that's good enough."

"Have you been here before?" I dab my napkin over my lips and reach for my water.

"Yep, my third year here. I know all the secrets about this place."

I bring my bottle to my lips, Cliff gets closer to my ear, chills are sent down my spine in an instant.

"Like where are the best places to sneak off to when nobody is around."

I instantly start chugging my water, in hopes that Cliff doesn't realize how much he is driving me insane.

"Also where the best place is to have s-"

"What are you campers doing?!" A stern voice behind us shouts.