Chapter 8

When the news of the imperial sons came back safetly with only very minor injuries, the whole kingdom rejoiced.

However, their heart ached for the beloved Emperor.
He now lay on his bed, fighting a battle for life and death, and the whole kingdom fought beside him.

He is the legendary Emperor, prophesied to unite the kingdoms and bring peace and prosperity to the entire world during his life.

If he died, who knows if his son will be as good as him?

Jin qing was right, but the old man was just too stubborn.

<>

The entire household, like everyone else, is praying night and day for his recovery.
Jin qing the absolute hardest.

She knew she should have pressed on for his departure so he would be safe in the company of guards.
By her own silly belief that he would be careful, she didnt try harder.
According to reports, a enemy archer spotted him in the fray and struck him with a poisoned arrow.
All because of her.

She knew that if he died, there was no doubt that he'll tell Xi jian about her and her identity as the Xue xian.

No doubt about it. Otherwise, how else would he know who to ask for when he needs the Xue Xian?

All she can hope for is that Xi jian respects her wishes of being hidden.

She really wanted to keep her secret. The last thing she needed was for them to find out she is still alive.

It was the only part of the deal she struck with the Emperor 8 years ago in an exchange for her help.

Two days after their return from the hunting site, Huan le came into her room.

Jin qing looked up only to receive a strike across her face.

She forced her head to stay straight so Huan le didn't receive any sort of satisfaction that she struck hard enough.

"You still have the face and the guts to stay calm?" Huan le asked. "Why did you not refuse when the highness Xi jian asked you to shoot? Why did you not refuse when Princess An ru asked you to sing?"

Jin qing looked up "I wanted to. However, if i wish to protect Li family's reputation, I couldn't. Do not tell me, Huan le, that you care about your own reputation more than this family's?"

Huan le took a shaky breath "I hope you remember mother's orders or did you forget?"

"Does it look like I'll ever forget?"

"Then why didn't you obey her?!" She shrieked, steam coming out of her ears. "Now everyone is going to think that we have raised a boy instead of a lady. A lady who shoots archery and rides horses for fun. What a disgrace! They think less of me now, they think that I didn't do my duty as an older sister and-"

She struck Jin qing again on the other cheek, but once again, Jin qing didn't move

"Miss!" Bai yan cried. "Hey, please! stop!"

"You dare to talk to me, you lowly servant? Know your place!" Huan le said.

Jin qing knew not to anger Huan le anymore when her temper is still rising. But when Huan le rose her hand to strike her maid, she grabbed her wrist and held it there.

"Your argument is with me. Don't drag my maids into this." Jin qing reminded her. "Bai yan, Ye bing, do not interfere."

"All you need to remember is that you are nothing." She said to her. "You are nothing but a fake. You aren't from this family."
Huan le turned and left.