Chapter 42

"Shen feng was the one who told you that, wasn't he."

"of course he was. My father took him in when you exiled him after you took back the crown when you were ten."

"Your father was a fool to trust him and his mother."

"Yet because of him, the Song grew to what it is today." The song Emperor spread his arms "Before they arrived, the Song was just another country overshadowed by the Liang and the Wei. But now..."

"They will turn on you."

"Or will they?"

"Shen Feng and his mother are more desperate for power than you think. They are willing to do absolutely anything-"

"I know. I've heard. But they have both pledged their alliance to me-"

"And do you really think they are going to stay faithful to their promise? That woman murdered her own husband and his other wives, my father, my mother."

"She has been loyal to us for many years. If she wanted to try anything she would have-"

"And how do you know that swine isn't planning anything behind you-"

Behind her, a man grabbed a fistful of her hair and pulled her backward and placed a sword at her throat. "Disrespect my mother one more time and the carpets here will be painted red with your blood."

"I'll disrespect her all I want. If there is any woman in this world that deserves the slowest and the most painful death-"

The man, Shen Feng, interrupted her by kicking her back as her body fell forward onto the floor. "Hold your tongue.  You will show some respect to my mother or may everyone help you as I'll-"

"Shen Feng." The emperor warned. "That would be enough."

Shen Feng released her from his grasp and returned his place to the right of the emperor.

"See how quickly he resorts to violence! Clearly he got that trait from his mother."

Shen Feng drew out his sword and stepped toward her. "Say the word and I'll have her head placed on the city walls for everyone to see." He said to the emperor.

The Song emperor glared at Shen Feng, raising a hand to tell him to put his sword away. "There is no need for that, yet. We only go to such measures if she refuses to cooperate."

"Me? Cooperate? I'm not sure what type of alcohol you have been drinking but what makes you think I'll-"

Shen Feng grabbed a fistful of her hair and lifted her up, digging his fists upwards into her stomach. He watched as she struggled to breathe, coughing and gasping as she fell back onto the floor.

"I see after ten years Wu Xin has not changed." An elderly women emerged from the side, staring at the girl she had just spoken of. "Her tongue is still as sharp as ever."

"Mother." Shen Feng nodded respectively at the elderly woman.

"You-"

"Me." The woman agreed, nodding. "You haven't changed, Wu Xin. You still have the same sense of anger and determination you possessed when you were ten years old."

"And that would never change for as long as you and your blasted son is alive I will-"

Shen feng advanced again but his mother held out her hand, telling her son to relax. "That is no way to talk to your superior."

"Her? My superior? Both of you can stop spouting lies. My mother was the emperor's first wife, so I can command both of you to help me to my feet and kneel before me."