Chapter 17

Jin qing furiously stormed to the court of the emperor, all sense of her untouchable elegance leaving her in an instant.

Xi jian looked up in surprise when the usually calm Xue Xian came in. He was a little scared, but what can she do?

"Allow me to get this straight." Jin qing took a deep breath. "My brother and the prince is currently being held hostage, and you wouldn't tell me."

Xi jian stood up "who told you?"

"None of your concern" She snapped. "From what I've heard, you wouldn't tell me because you didn't like the ransom."

"Exactly."

"So tell me, what exactly is the price?"

Xi jian dismissed the guards and stepped down to level himself with Jing qing. "You."

Jin qing had expected as much. "Me." She rolled her eyes "Well isn't that tragic. How exactly?"

"For us to gain the city and the army back, we must make an exchange." Xi jian explained. "Your life for theirs."

"They want my head on a silver tray." Jin qing rose her eyebrow.

"No no no." He shook his head in response "they want you alive. They said if we meet them at the border, they will give in exchange for the city and its people alive and unharmed. Then they will take you."

"And you don't want to lose me, I see" Jin qing nodded. "But they aren't killing me, that seems suspicious..."

Xi jian narrowed his eyes at her. "You aren't thinking..."

"Oh yes." Jin qing looked up with a smile "Yes I am."

"But why?" He demanded "why would you throw your own safety away for the sake of an army and a small city? Your life is worth so many of theirs!"

"Do you hear yourself?" Jin qing asked. "No matter how smart you may be, one man alone cannot win a war. You will need an army. And think, if you do nothing and let the men and women perish inside those walls, do you not think the families of the soldiers will revolt?"

Jin qing took a deep breath, attempting to calm herself. "You will also be losing a brother an-"

"-I know."

"And I will be losing mine."

Xi jian was quiet. "I just want to keep you safe."

"Keeping me safe won't win this war." Jin qing said firmly. "I assume that peace talk didn't work out."

"No. It did not."

"And why is that?"

"They are asking us to surrender and pay them the tribute" Xi jian turned to her "prices no one will be able to pay."

"And so to uphold your pride and the country's treasury, you decided to keep on waging war."

"There is more too it."

Jin qing sighed. "You are the emperor. You do what you believe is best for the people. If you wish to wage war, then so be it."

"However..."

"However, I am not letting that city be burned or destroyed if I can help it."

"Jin qing!"

"I have made up my mind. Tell them I accept."

Xi jian grabbed Jin qing by the shoulder, who shook his hand off. "What you are doing is basically suicide!"

"Does it look like Ill die this easily?"