Chapter 65

"What's the plan?"

Qiang An had taken her to a place underneath one of the palace walls where the trees would hide them from the guards patrolling above for a breather after narrowly avoiding guards that came too close to them. "I've prepared horses for you to leave the city on- I don't think I'll be able to help you much beyond the palace walls." he turned around to face her "I'll likely never be able to talk to you again after you leave. You'll be alright, right?"

"We'll be fine. How will we get Yu Qi and the children out-?"

"I think we'll be able to force our way out if we get a distraction," He answered, pointing somewhere to Jin Qing's left "The emperor and some generals that stayed behind is convening over there,  so that'll be the most dangerous area to be and we should probably avoid it. There are firecrackers in storage that we can set off to get their attention elsewhere- but it's risky. I wanted to try something similar with them as I did for you-"

Jin qing had a better idea. "No- wait. I can get you the distraction you need. Where are we meeting?"

"What? The firecrackers or the gunpowder won't work if you're thinking of an explosion-"

"Oh, no. That definitely will not work since it's very simultaneous and will only get the attention of the people there. Just look for the signal and that's when you should break them out."

"What's the signal?"

"You'll know it when you see it."

"Then what are you planning? I'll be behind you all the way."

 A thin smile spread across Jin Qing's face "I'm thinking that we play with some fire."

<>

The most dangerous place is almost always the safest place in disguise, and Jin qing knew exactly where her target was if she wanted to create both a distraction and a delay just in case Qiang An does betray her. 

How convenient is it that Tian Xiang and some very important people are all in one room tonight?
wouldn't it be a shame if the building they were in was to... mysteriously catch aflame?
A building fit for an emperor must be lavishly decorated with silks, gold, intense, and many, many candles to light up the place.
it'll be a shame if those things were to be fuel for a hungry beast named fire?

Jin qing loved playing with fire, and it'll be a nice twist that the very thing that leads to her being caught would be the thing that would help her escape. 

Using her basic knowledge of the palace from the time she spent wandering around, she managed to locate the kitchens and find a box of matches along with jars of oil. It'll be impossible for her to carry the big jugs around, but she didn't need that much. the stook a long bolt of cloth and dipped it in the oil, straining it so it was damp but not completely wet. She tied it up with more string and put it on the table. A bottle filled with oil was filled up quickly and she tied that to her belt. 
It should be enough to light a reasonably sized fire. 

Just in case they haven't been feeding Yu qi and the children enough, she grabbed some steamed buns from the pot and wrapped it up before running out. They'll need the strength from the food to be on the run- besides, who knows when will it be the next time they'll be able to eat properly while being wanted criminals? She and Yu qi might be able to handle going without food for a few days and still stay strong, but she was worried about the children and how well they were going to do. 

So many questions- so few answers and so little time to think about them. 
it'll be a gamble.
and It'll be all worth it. 

Jin qing hurried back, climbing up trees and scaling the walls to get onto the roof of the building. A few times she almost lost her footing but she managed to regain them quickly lest she slips and falls to her death.