Chapter 54

Jin Qing watched the two siblings sleep, tucking the blankets around them a little more lest they get cold. 

The boy had slept through that afternoon and the entire night, and the little girl had fallen asleep next to him after finding herself too tired to stay awake. 

The morning sun peeked through the silk curtains, which Jin qing quickly drew over so the light of the sun wouldn't wake the kids up. 

Slipping on a jade green dress, Jin qing quickly tied threw on a simple white jacket over to provide some protection against the harsh late-summer sun. 
It would be autumn before she knew it, the period where the previous year's harvest would run out and the people would have to rely on this year's harvest to survive through the winter. 

Jin qing placed two bowls of porridge and a few light breakfast dishes in the wooden box, placing it next to the fire so it would stay warm for the children to eat. 

Though she didn't want to leave the two alone, she knew she mustn't be distracted from her ultimate goal. 
She turned her head back at them, making sure they were sleeping soundly. 

Watching and taking care of someone younger than me, talking so low and so softly... It reminds me of my life in the Wei. 

I wonder how is Xue Hua doing? I know Bai yan and Ye Bing will be alright and in good hands in that countryside home, but they all must be worried sick to find out I've been captured. 

There's no need for worrying. I'll be back soon, leaving this kingdom to burn behind me.

Jin qing stood there, lingering a little longer in her thoughts. 
She snapped out of it when the boy shifted for the first time, waking up in a coughing fit. Dropping all of her thoughts, Jin qing hurried over to him and sat by his bed, gently rubbing on his back to ease the coughing. She pressed the back of her other hand to his forehead and was relieved to find that it has cooled. 

"Are you feeling better?" 

The boy looked up at her with a confused expression. "Who are- who are you-"

Jin qing smiled, patting the boy's head "My name is Jin qing. My friend and I brought you and your sister from the alleyway to my home to treat your fever." She glanced over at Nian Zhen, and the boy followed her gaze "Your sister fell asleep after staying up. Are you feeling any better?"

The boy nodded, still staring at her. "You... You look like the man at the alleyway-"

Jin qing laughed, amused at how that was his next question despite all the other things he could have asked her just now "That's a question for your sister. She'll explain more when she wakes up."

"Are you... Are you going anywhere?" He asked, clutching at her soft silk dress with his small and bony hands. 

She smiled softly "I need to go outside to run some errands. Don't worry, I'll be back soon."

"Can I come with you?"

Jin qing found it interesting that the little boy would trust her so quickly. She shook her head "No, you're still a bit sick. It'll be better if you stay inside." She answered "Go back to sleep and snuggle in with your sister. I'll be back before you know it."

She knew she couldn't ask Yu Qi again. Though Yu qi had helped her with so much, she couldn't neglect her own duties in the court. 

"Okay..."

"Good boy." Jin qing stood up and tucked the little boy in. "I'll bring you two snacks when I come back, alright?"

The boy grinned sleepily and nodded.