Chapter 62

Jin qing wasn't too concerned about how Tian Xiang was going to get in her room without Gui Fei's guards noticing. He is the emperor, something as trivial as going into some lady's room should be nothing too difficult. 
she laughed to herself. 

unless, of course, that unmarried lady just so happens to be the biggest threat to his reign. One of his biggest threats. Technically the fact that he doesn't have a legitimate heir is a problem. Huan le did say she's his consort but she really doesn't seem like it. 

However, Jin qing was most concerned about what might happen after Tian Xiang visits her. How in the world was she going to escape? It wasn't a part of the deal they made that Tian Xiang was going to help her, only that he wasn't going to try and stop her. 
Everything was going too well, even if Gui Fei decided to lock her in her room for the time being. Jin Qing isn't a child anymore, so something as trivial as this shouldn't be able to hold her back very well. 

But what's going to happen to her if she leaves her room? 
Gui Fei must have known something was coming, so placing such light security around her must be a bait for her to escape. 

She shivered, standing up and watching the door anxiously. Worrying wasn't going to get her anywhere, and if she can secure the support of the emperor... well, Gui Fei wouldn't be too much of an issue. 

<>

It was a little bit after midnight when she heard tapping against her door screen. Jin qing had nearly fallen asleep waiting for Tian Xiang, but she hurried to open the door. "Finally. I have been waiting for you for ages."

Tian Xiang, dressed in less conspicuous clothes, hurried in as Jin qing shut the door behind him. "Im sorry. Preparation took a little longer than i thought. Besides, I had to wait until the guards shifted duties for my guards to infiltrate and pretend to be Gui Fei's guards... that woman is very careful."

"You can always say that you'd think the emperor's guards will be more effective," Jin qing suggested "You're still emperor. You still have more authority over her."

He sat down with a heavy sigh, rubbing the bridge of his nose as Jin qing poured them some tea so they don't fall asleep. "For now, anyway. Unless you can finally tell me if Gui Fei is planning a rebellion behind my back?"

"From what I can see?" Jin qing sat down in front of him, pulling her own cloak closer to herself "She's not planning a rebellion. I've asked and looked around the palace and the city- everyone seems to have an enormous amount of faith in you and your abilities."

"you've only investigated for a little less than a week."

"And that's all i need-" Jin qing stopped, looking up "What, you want me to make a through investigation? I'm not staying for that long."

"I know you're not. Anything else I need to keep in mind?"

"As far as i'm concerned, you have the trust of the people. Be careful of Shen Feng and his power of the army- that's where the real danger is. I haven't been in court, but I'm guessing you're going to fight a little war against Gui Fei and Huan le."

"You don't like court drama, do you?"

Jin qing laughed "Oh no. I hate dealing with the court. Put me in battle any day. Keep your people happy and make sure Shen Feng doesn't have too much control over the army. Maybe it's time for you to go out to the battlefield yourself and earn some respect."

"I've done so when I was a prince against the Liang. I'd like to think I still have some respect among the ranks."

"My, then you must have been very young when you lead! You only seem to be a few years older than me."