Chapter 64

There was nothing Jin Qing can do about how bored she was. 

Yes, she was technically pressed for time, but was there anything she can do while she was confined to her room? There was nothing for her to pass time with until Qiang An came to her with another letter, and trying to come up with a plan would be useless because she doesn't know what Qiang An is planning. 

Waiting. 
Jin qing hated waiting. 

This place was quickly starting to feel like the prison Gui Fei threw her in her youth and the one she just got out of less than a week ago. It looked nothing like it, but the feeling of being trapped was becoming more real by the second.  

She knew how limited time was. She knew how quickly she needed to get out. She knew all that yet she can do nothing about it but wait. There are so many things for her to prepare for once she gets back in the Wei and there would be no time for rest. In the absolute best-case scenario, it'll take her a few days to get back to the capital where she belongs if there aren't any interruptions along the way. 

It wouldn't hurt if I burn down a few more fields... if Tian Xiang hasn't already ordered a harvest to be done as quickly as possible to prevent any more losses. If he did that... well, there goes one step of my plan to try and cut off their food source even by a little bit. 

I'm sure I can manage the same steps somehow once I get back to the Wei. Everything depends on if I can get back into the Wei or not. I do not want to be stuck here for any longer than I need to. Even if the heavens bless the Wei with a miracle and Kai Feng or Shang ye or one of the competent generals I selected manages to defend the city, I do not want to be here over the winter. 

War cannot be fought during the winter, but I'll be vastly difficult for me to travel around... even if I was traveling alone...

Jin qing slapped her face to stop her mind from wandering. There was no question- she's going to get out of here alive. She's going to get Nian Zhen and Xiao wen and Yu qi out of here alive. All that would depend on Qiang An, and If he manages to get another message in before nightfall. 

The sound of a rock hitting and rolling across the wooden floor caught Jin Qing's attention, and she scrambled over to pick it up to inspect the note that was undoubtedly tied to it. Her eyes scanned over the words hastily scribbled onto it, crinkled by the weight of the rock and the hurry of how it must have been stuffed in his pocket. 

Hope peeked through as Jin Qing read the letter. It contained mostly about what he was planning and some extra information he managed to withhold- what time does the guards change, some escape routes she can take once she gets out of the palace, and of course the inevitable question... 

     Why is the emperor targeting you, Yu Qi, and the orphan siblings?

Jin qing read the note over again to imprint it into her mind and tossed it into the stove where it burned to ashes. 

There is no reason for him to know why. 
He's so loyal to Tian Xiang... what is he going to think of me if he finds out who I am and what I will undoubtedly do when I get back into the Wei?

Loyalty is a good thing... but for once I wish for someone to be disloyal for once. 
I'm sorry, Qiang an, but you're going to be helping the enemy tonight...

Jin qing took in a deep breath, watching the letter burn as she sat back down, tapping her fingers against the table impatiently. 
Aside from the hurdle that Qiang An might turn on her, everything felt too easy. Everything had felt too easy for a very long time, almost as if the universe was taking it's time to draw their bow and release the sharpest arrow at her when she least expects it. 

Her life had been nothing but struggles and secrets. 
She struggled as a child to stay alive and carry out missions for Gui Fei. She struggled to keep her country afloat after the rebellion- watching it collapse under her and forcing her to flee. 
What did she get when she fled to the Wei?

Secrets. 
She struggled to keep her identity a secret- both as the Xue Xian and as Wu Xin. She struggled against Huan le and her Mother's plots against her to ruin her non-existent reputation and keep the family of the first wife in the spotlight. She struggled to maintain the stability of a kingdom for two emperors that were never really suited for war. 

Why would the world hold back now?