Chapter 30

If her brother, such a strong and smart man, requests for help, he must really need it. Jin qing knew her brother well enough that the only time he would request help was when he knew he was in a fight he can't win.
That was the main reason why she's going, but another reason was that on the letter, there was a handwriting she recognized.

Every person in the land who knew how to read and write has their own unique handwriting, along with their own habits and small quirks they have when writing their characters.
And Jin qing recognized one of them, one of the many habits of the person she was thinking of. The unnecessary strokes he has a habit of making. The person used the alternate handwritings from other people to draw attention away from his unnecessary strokes.
But that was impossible, there are many people who might have a similar habit. How can Jin qing be so sure it's the man she's thinking about?

She wasn't.
So she intended to go and find out. If it was him, he wouldn't resist the chance of finding her on the battlefield and kill her.

With what? With a sword? The point of a spear? An arrow? Trampling her underneath a horse's hooves?
Was the poison sent by him?

Jin qing ran toward the hall of the emperor, but she stopped halfway.
Why was her heart pounding?
No. Not now. She was outside, away from the comforting privacy of her own room.
Jin qing looked up and scanned her surroundings, trying to steady her breathing. What triggered it? What's causing it?
Not now.

Her maids were way behind her, unable to catch up with her speed and her knowledge of the palace shortcuts.

Her heart squeezed its air out of her mouth, leaving Jin qing out of breath for a few seconds before she finally managed to take air back in.
She shut her eyes, leaning one arm against a tree, head spinning. Was the poison acting up again?

Jin qing opened her eyes in an attempt to get a better sense of her bearings and to calm down, but for a split second, she wasn't in the palace. She was in a cold, stone room, the air stale and musty. Her ears filled with the ringing of bells, the quiet yet sharp clinks of stringed beads, the clicks of locks on the iron doors opening-

And it stopped.

Her vision cleared, and she managed to breathe again, but Jin qing was still just as shocked.
Confused.
What had caused it? She spun around on her heels, looking around. What had caused that to happen?

Jin qing sat down on a stone bench, silent.
She should be going to the main hall before her maids get there and start wondering. Staring at her hands, she wondered if she'll be able to function in the hall.
She wondered if it'll trigger while she's having a discussion with the emperor.

<>

"What do you mean he's not in the hall?" Jin qing demanded.

"Yes... The emperor has retreated to his room less than half an hour ago. Lady Xue Xian, do you need him for anything?"

"Yes... can you ask him if I'm allowed to enter?"

The guard nodded and rushed in, leaving Jin qing alone with her thoughts. She had managed to calm herself down before she arrived, but the waiting was making her anxious.

A pink butterfly flew in front of her and rested itself on Jin qing's sleeve. With a little smile, she lifted up her sleeve to examine it, but when she moved, the butterfly promptly fluttered away, disturbed by the movement.

"Lady Xue Xian!" The guard approached her again. "The emperor grants you permission! Though he says the next time you don't need to."

"Thank you." She said softly and went in.