Chapter 34

Jin qing slowly opened her eyes, and the first thing she felt was the headache building in her head.

She was in her room in the city, possibly alone as she couldn't feel any other presence.
What happened? The last memory was her passing out in Shang ye's arms.

She tried to sit up, shifting a little bit but gave up as soon as the pain on her shoulder started again.
That man...
He had grown over the years she hasn't seen him. He used to be so weak and fragile when she was younger, but after that one day... he changed, completely.

She stared at the ceiling, wondering how long has she passed out.
And whoever patched her wounds was terrible.
Jin qing wished she could ask the mother in the countryside to come, as she had years of experience and knew Jin qing's capable yet fragile body better than anyone.
Jin qing suddenly regretted not paying attention to the times she had taught her about her craft.

So many things she regrets.

One of those things is that she didn't kill that man when she got the chance all those years ago.

Someone's footsteps approached the room, and Jin Qing managed to pretend as if she never woke up.

"Has the Xue Xian woken up yet?" Shang Ye asked from outside the door.

"No, she hasn't woken up for two days." Someone answered.

Jin qing mentally frowned. Two days? Has she been that exhausted or that injured?

"Has the medic been treating her wounds? Has he come today yet?"

"Yes, he dropped by a few hours ago, and he insists that she be left alone."

"Still?"

"Yes, your highness. The medic had found out that you've been visiting her for the past two days and has strictly forbidden it."

Jin qing heard a loud rustle of footsteps, then the guard cleared his throat.

"I'm sorry, your highness. But the medic is right. She needs to be left alone."

"I'll just go in and see her, I won't stay for too long."

"But your highness-"

Judging from the footsteps approaching her, she assumed Shang Ye had completely ignored the guard and walked in anyway.
Jin qing still had her eyes closed, as she didn't want anyone to know she was awake just yet.

She felt the blankets to her right shift as Shang Ye sat down next to her. "So it's like this again, huh? When you were poisoned I sat just like this a few times each day."

He did?
Why didn't anyone tell her?

"When I saw you passed out on the floor, well... I panicked. But you'll be alright, you've even said it yourself that you're stronger than you look." He let out a heavy sigh, and she felt his hands grip onto her's. "Wake up soon, board game buddy."

Jin qing laid still, keeping her breathing slow and heavy, imitating the breathing patterns of someone who is asleep. She wanted him to keep on talking.

"Though I wonder... was the Song General that skilled to be able to take you down? I've heard reports that he has simply ignored and ridden past our soldiers when they approached him as if he was in a hurry... was he looking for you? But why?"