Chapter 27

The moon was overhead by the time Jin qing stepped out of the meetings with the generals the next day.

She was exhausted. The poison would still give her splitting headaches and an occasional tightness in her chest. But the Wei needed her, and she wouldn't let something as small as that get in the way.

But if the man she was thinking of was helping the Song... she needs to be careful and make sure the Wei wins the war.
She wanted to see the man dead.

He has evaded the cold grasps of death twice, and Jin qing wanted to make sure he didn't escape for the third time.

She went back to her room with her maids following closely behind her. Jin Qing's white gown trailed behind her, her jewels making a light sound like twinkling bells on a windy day.
Untouchable elegance.

On the way back, she caught a quick glimpse of Huan les gown and decided not to interact with her unless they crossed paths.

No doubt Huan Le was flying with the praise she was getting from saving her, and Jin Qing did not want to talk to her while she was drunk with the taste of glory.

But Huan Le went to her anyway, and didn't bother curtsying. "Jin qing."

"Huan le. What a surprise." She said calmly.

"Shouldn't you be thanking me? I saved your life."

"Thank you."

"Just that? No other words?"

"That's all."

"I should have just let you rot."

"Then why didn't you?"

"Because I'm a good sister. We still are related by blood."

Jin qing wanted to laugh. But she was curious, why did Huan Le want to help her? It can't just be because of the unbreakable bond of sisterhood. "Well, I said my thanks. It's late and you should be heading to bed."

"You should too."

Jin qing walked past her, her footsteps silent on the stone tiles. "Goodnight."

Before she can get too far, Huan Le spoke up again. "You owe me a favor now."

Jin qing didn't turn back.

Heavy footsteps approached her and Jin qing turned around in time to see a hand flashing toward her face. She caught it with her hand and held it in the air.

"May you thank the heavens I won't report you to the guards for assaulting someone with a status next to the emperor." She reminded Huan Le, and let her hand drop from her tight grip. "Remember your place."

"Oh, but soon you'll be at my feet, Jin qing. I know something that you don't." Huan le said with a small smirk. "Something I know you are very desperate to know."

"What can you possibly know that I dont?"

Huan Le walked to her side and mumbled under her breath. "I know who poisoned you."

Huan Le began to walk off with a smile on her face, so much in contrast of the obvious expression of surprise and panic that was being displayed on her sister's face.

Jin qing whipped around and grabbed onto her wrist, pulling Huan Le with a firm grip. "Tell me..." her voice was sharp, full of desperation mixed with a little bit of anger.

"How about no?" Huan le said with a smile.

"I'll have you arrested for treason for not sharing vital information with an official."