2. Prologue

Dead... my mom, and dad are dead. They aren't coming back, ever. I can't cry for some reason, all I can do is sit there in silence. It might look like I'm alright, but inside my walls are breaking down. The social worker told me that nobody wanted me, of course she didn't say it like that. She sugarcoated it for me, but she didn't have too. My mom grew up in the foster care system, and my stepdad's family didn't want anything to do with the lot of us, mostly because my mom already had me when they were married. I don't know what's gonna happen yet, they told me they were looking for my birth certificate. They were trying to find my biological father.
My mom wouldn't talk about him. Just said he was a deadbeat, arrogant, piece of crap. I hope they can find him, I don't want to go into the system. My mom told me some things from when she was in it, and it makes my head spin just thinking about it.
"Let's go to your house Peighton, we need some of your things." The social worker, Mrs June, is pretty nice. She has dark skin, and isn't small, but not fat. She has kinda a motherly way about her, she seems like she would be stricter with her kids, but she is making sure I'm alright. She got me a hot cocoa, and cookie, but I didn't eat it I have no appetite.
"Then what?" I ask, trying to keep my voice from shaking. She sighs,
"We have yet to find your birth certificate, so for the time being you'll be going to Highland Houses." She must see the tears in my eyes, and the tick I have of biting my bottom lip.
"Now now, It's just for the time being. I know we'll find it, and even if we don't, we'll find you an amazing family. It's all gonna be alright." I look down and give a small nod, even though I know she's lying. It's never alright.
We pull up to my home. It looks so empty when we walk inside. My mom's shoes, my dad's newspaper he never read. My heart feels like it's
braking in half. I swallow hard, and walk past it all into my room. I grab some clothes I know my mom loves... loved on me, and the essentials.
"Do you think I can go to my parents room... alone." She gives me a pitifully sad smile,
"Of course. Take your time." She sits down on our kitchen table. I make sure she isn't looking, and slip into the laundry room. In her bed is my kitten, Chloe. I know if Mrs June sees her I won't get to keep her. I grab her blanket, toy, and a bag of food. She's a newborn, the runt I've kept her alive for a month, and I'm not gonna lose her too. I put all her stuff at the bottom of my medium size suit case. I put her in my backpack, but I don't zip it. She's pretty laid back, so I don't have to worry about her trying to get out. I go back to my parents room, and stand in the doorway. A sob is caught in my throat, but I don't want to cry in front of anyone.
I go into the bathroom, and grab my mom's beautiful hair brush. My biological dad gave it to her, but she denies it. I also grab her perfume, so when I miss her, I can still feel like she's there. I smile when I see my dad's favorite tie. It's a crazy tie, with pink flamingos all over it. My mom hates... hated it, but he still wore it, because he knew I loved it. I grab it to remember him by. I see my mom's necklace, it has a beautiful ruby heart on it, and it's engraved
'love is patient'. I put it on, next to my locket. I have tears streaming down my cheeks all the memories are overwhelming me.
I run into their room, and jump onto their bed. Like I did a few days ago, when I swear I heard a monster outside my room. I put their blanket over myself, and sob quietly.
"Why did you leave me?" After a few minutes I'm shaking on their bed, trying to suck it up.
"Peighton?" I hear Mrs June call softly, "Dear are you alright?"
What kind of question is that?! My parents are dead! I'm just dandy!
I wipe off the tears, and call back
"Yes ma'am." She walks in, and sighs.
"Dear, we aren't gonna do anything with their things until we find out what's happening with you, after all you might want to look through some of it, right?" I shake my head yes, and she puts a hand on my shoulder. I shrug it off, and walk past her. I grab my backpack, and my nightlight which I forgot to pack.
We drive for about twenty minutes, when she stops, and I look out the window. It looks cold... brick walls and Sliding glass door. We walk in, and I'm already dreading being left here. A tear slips out the corner of my eye, but I wipe it away quickly.
"Peighton, I know it doesn't look so good but..." her pager goes off.
"Hold on, I gotta take this, but I promise I won't leave you here till you are settled in, and comfortable." She rubs my arm. She's not like I expected A social worker to be, she's sweet, and she makes sure I know what's going on. One kid comes over and smirks at me.
"Welcome to the city zoo, have they booked you yet?" I shake my head no.
"Well then I suggest you get out while you still can." He laughs, and starts to walk away when he sees Mrs June coming over.
"Young man? Thank you for the advice, but I don't think she'll need it." She says with a raised eyebrow. He walks to a room, and disappears behind the door.
Mrs June turns to me with a genuine smile,
"I have some great news!"
I don't even react, just stare at her till she starts again.
"They found it! Your birth certificate, it has your fathers name on it!" I actually have a bit of relief for once,
"What's his name?" I ask quietly, and she loses her smile.
"Tony Stark."
DATE: 10/15/19
IF YOU READ MY OTHER BOOK YOU WILL REALIZE THE CHAPTERS ARE LONGER, SORRY IM TRYING FOR LONGER BUT THE DIALOGUE IS KINDA DIFFICULT AT TIMES... AND YOU MIGHT NOT SEE A PLOT AT FIRST, BUT YOU WILL!👍🏼😀...... AND AGAIN MY WALKING DEAD BOOK TAKES PRIORITY I'LL TRY TO UPDATE SOON!!! ❤️❤️❤️