3. Peighton Stark?

"Perhaps you have heard of him?" I just look at her in awe,
"Tony Stark? How? I'm a nobody." She gives me a stern look,
"Peighton, you need to listen to me. He may be kind of consumed with work, but you will have a home."
"No, I'll have a house, not a home. Does Stark even want me?"
I bet he doesn't, she sighs.
"Listen honey, he... he may need time. He's the only option, unless there is a more suitable guardian. I could try to..."
"No, it's fine. Even if he doesn't like me, or want me. It's better than here... no offense." She smiles
"Let's go, Their expecting you... well their expecting someone from social services, they aren't aware of the situation." I give her a puzzling look,
"Why not?" She just leads me out, back into the car.
"Well I just figured it would be better to not give him time to dwell on things, and get nervous, you understand."
"Yeah, you don't want to give him the chance to back out." I say, seeing right through her lie.
Wow my very own daddy dearest... Tony Stark.
It's about a half hour to get to Stark tower... at least I have time to think.
'What if he doesn't want me...? or what if he's as mean and arrogant as he looks on tv? On the up side maybe I'll be aloud to do what I want if he doesn't care. Maybe fix things... well at least try to fix things.
I remember one time, I took our microwave apart, but couldn't put it back together. I got grounded for a month, and had to do extra chores to help pay off the cost of the broken appliance.
      I bet if I brake a microwave there it won't matter. I know he probably won't want me, but I can't help but hope he does. I have nobody, and it would be nice too have a friend, or at least somebody to tell, if I get a good grade, or when I get hurt, and that kind of thing. He might not be that person, but I have to live with him either way.

Finally here... Stark Tower. I guess it's pretty new.
We enter the huge building, and go to the front desk.
"Mrs June, from social services, here to see Mr. Stark." Without even looking the lady grabs her badge, scans it, and points to the elevator,
"top floor." She says with a monotone voice. Mrs June puts on a fake smile.
"Thank you... for your time." She says low key sarcastically. I smirk, but that smirk quickly fades when I see the glass elevator.
"Mrs June? Is there... um... maybe stairs?" Her eyebrows furrow,
"Why? What's the matter?"
"It's, really really high, and see through." She chuckles, and turns around to the receptionist,
"Ma'am, are there possibly stairs we could take instead?" The lady gives her a strange look,
"Stairs? Ma'am do you know how high this building goes, approximately..." Mrs June cuts her off, "We don't care, we need to get our exercise in... don't we Peighton?" I smile for a split second,
"Yes ma'am."
The receptionist sighs irritatingly, "Go straight past the elevators, walk a few feet, it's the first door on your left. It has a sign."
"Thanks. Oh can we by any chance send her bags up and get them when we get up there?" Mrs June says clearly annoyed with such rude behavior.
"I guess so... Jimmy take these bags up to the penthouse." She says ringing a bell.
"You mean... up to Mr. Stark's?!" He shudders, and I roll my eyes at his reaction, "Um certainly... yeah I can do that." He grabs my bags, and reaches for my backpack.
"Wait!" Everybody looks at me funny,
"I can take this one, it has some breakable items. Thank you though."
     "Come along Peighton." I obey, and follow right behind her. As soon as we open the door to the stairs, I kind of start to regret the decision, "Are you sure you don't mind Miss June? I mean if you'd rather..."
"Oh nonsense... if this makes you more comfortable, then this is exactly what we'll do."
"Thank you."
"Up we go." She says with a small sigh evident in her voice.

Finally! At the top, my backpack feels like it carries a ton of bricks, not just a few important items.
"Harry we've reached the top!" Mrs June quotes 'home alone' I smile, but almost burst into tears. That was my dad's favorite movie, Marve was his favorite character, he quoted it often. My mom always laughed at his silliness, I almost can't move, but remember my kitten in my backpack full of stuff is getting restless. We enter the huge room, you could probably fit my house in this room alone twice.
A pretty lady, with red hair comes into view. "Ah, you must be the woman from social services, I'm Pepper Pots." She holds out her hand to Mrs June.
"Yes, Eliza June." The lady can't really see me cause I'm behind Mrs June. "Is Mr. Stark around, it's quite necessary that I speak directly to him." Mrs Potts smiles,
"Yes, he's in his workshop, usually I do confrontation. You'll have to excuse him. Why don't you sit down, and I'll be in in a moment with Mr Stark." Mrs June nods, and walks over to a couch, that looks like more for show than comfort. I don't sit, instead I take a walk around the room. I see something that catches my eye. It's a beautiful painting of a river, with pine trees reflecting off the blue water, and deer and other small creatures coming for a refreshing drink. It's the name at the bottom that catches my eye R.W... my mother's initials. I heard her talking about the painting she used to do. She gave it up, but I love to paint. I like technology too, but it's not as important to me as painting.
     I find myself skimming my hand over the initials, and sigh.
"Mom I miss you so... much."
      My thoughts are interrupted by a voice I've heard on TV, and it sounds just as arrogant,
"Sorry, I forgot to put the sign up... do not touch." I whip around, and run right into the one and only Tony Stark. He narrows his eyes, and starts,
"Who are you with, the field trips aren't supposed to come to the penthouse." I open my mouth and close it a few times, he startled me, and it's kinda the first time I've ever seen him... MY father. He rolls his eyes, "Yeah I know... kinda awesome... Tony Stark. Well is there anything you wanna stay, or should I call security to come, and... return you." It's my turn to roll my eyes,
"Yeah, I was gonna say you seem a lot taller on TV." I sass, and he fakes hurt, "I wouldn't be talkin small fry. Now, Happy!" He yells to somebody. A big guy in a suit makes his way over, "Escort Mrs...?" He looks at me for an answer, I don't have time to answer, when Mrs June and Mrs Potts run into the hallway. By the look on Mrs Potts face, I can tell Mrs June already informed her about the incident. Well, I guess it's better for me too just break it to Stark. I hold out my hand, and he gingerly takes hold of it by the tips of my fingers, obviously not thrilled with the physical contact. I don't smile, cause I'm not in the mood to put on a show,
"Peighton... Peighton Stark."