16.Short Reunion

Peighton is still asleep, but is starting to wake up. When I get back there are shield agents arresting people, and I see the team are just starting to get back. Ray is looks awful, there are now a few visible bruises in the light and blood is clearly seen through her shirt.
"Tony?"
"It's okay I'm here, and look who else." I whisper and she turns in my arm to see her mother.
"Mom!?" She whispers in unbelief. Rachel, noticing her leg comes limping over as fast as she can and takes Peighton from me holding her as close as possible.
"Oh baby, I'm here!" She says over Peighton's cries of relief.
"I missed you, I thought..." Peighton cries again but can't finish the sentence."
"I'm right here baby, I love you so much. I'm so proud of you." She says holding her close.
"I love you too." Peighton says in a whisper. I walk over once they start to pull away. Peighton lets me pick her up and Fury walks over and looks at Ray.
"Do you have it?"
"Yes sir, Operation Rabbit Hole is finished, and so am I." She says handing him a piece of paper.
"I understand."
"Operation Rabbit Hole?... original." Peighton rolls her eyes, and I can't help but laugh." Fury just rolls his eyes and looks at me.
"You told her to say that."
"Nope, She's just naturally sassy."
"I wonder where that came from."
      "Tony thank you so much for taking care of her." Ray tells me.
"What happens now?" I ask.
"I don't know, I guess..." she gets cut off abruptly, and I hear yelling and that's when, everything goes extremely wrong.

(Peighton's POV)
     "Get down!" I hear, along with screams and gunshots, just two. I gasp when I see a man bleeding out on the ground feet in front of me and Tony. My whole world starts spinning when I see the other person on the ground bleeding gasping for air.
"Momma!" I scream. And throw myself away from Tony's arms. In my leg a whole new pain starts, but can't even comprehend it. I crawl over to her and Tony comes over too.
"We need a medic!" He screams as he puts pressure on the gunshot wound. I'm sobbing while laying my head on my mom's chest and holding her hand.
"Don't go momma... please, please," I sob out.
"Stay with me Ray!" Tony says chocking up with desperation evident in his voice.
"Hey! Keep your eyes open, you stay with us ... where's the medic!" He yells looking up then back down holding her head up, still applying pressure on the wound.
"Momma please you made it! Momma... don't leave me, don't leave me alone." I choke out.
"Take... care of her.... promise me!" Mom says desperation in her quiet voice.
"You're gonna do that!" Tony says.
"Promise me! Please." She cries out.
"Momma!"
"You know I will... always."
"Momma please... I love you don't leave me I just got you back!"
"I'm so proud of you... I love you my sweet girl." She says with her last breath and her head tilts to the side and her hand goes limp.

(Tony's POV)

      I see the light leave the eyes of the woman I once loved, and who will always carry a little piece of my heart.
"NO!!!!!" I hear the broken little girl beside me scream out... my little girl.
"Nooo... no mamma please cone back... come back please."
"Baby... come here." I whisper soothingly
"No!" She hits me pretty hard in the chest then in the face as I try to pry her away.
"Mommy." She says in a heart broken whisper/whimper that makes me heart shatter. She starts to rub her fingers across her fallen mothers blouse and wring her fingers around the fabric. She starts to hyperventilate, and I see a panic attack coming. I see the team out of the corner of my eye and ask Natasha to get me a light sedative. It will calm her down but not knock her out.
     When Natasha gets back Peighton is no better and I rub a sterile cloth on the back of her neck and hold her to me as I gently as possible stick the needle in and the medication does it's job almost immediately she loosens up a little and I hold her to me. As she freely sobs out her little heart. She won't let go of Ray's hand and I don't make her. We sit like this for a long time.
     When I look up I see the team standing in the same place out of respect for us. Everyone else however is almost too busy to notice us getting evidence out of the site where my girls were held. Fury comes over,
"The man responsible is dead, and the agent in charge of him is being dismissed immediately." I don't say anything just go back to holding my kid, rubbing her back, and whispering soothing things in her ear.
"Tony?"
"Hmmm."
"Can... can we just go home?" She whispers.
"Of course we can." I pick her up and the team follows us onto the aircraft. I sit in a chair and hold Peighton bridal stile.
"I just got her back... I thought I had her back. Now she's gone again."
"I know baby girl... I know."
"I want her back." She says crying again, but with no energy to keep sobbing.
"Me too kid, me too." I rock her a bit. Her tears don't stop, but she ends up falling asleep holding my one free hand with both of her's.

SORRY ABOUT THE WAIT, BUT I HOPE YOU LIKED IT!😃 I ALMOST CRIED WRITING IT.😭