10.Painful Reminders

"No way... absolutely not!"
"You said whatever I wanted," I say in a singsong voice.
"In reason!"
"That was not part of the contract... and anyway it's too late."
"What that supposed to mean?"
"Her name's Chloe, and my mom and dad gave her to me."
"Whoa whoa whoa slow down for just a darn second... where is this kitten you're talking about?"
"I... inmyroon." I say to fast for him to understand.
"I didn't catch that?"
"In my room." I say refusing to make eye contact.
"You mean to tell me you've had this thing with you since you got here?!"
"I guess." I say sheepishly.
"Well you can't keep it... absolutely not." I look up at him,
"Please Mr Stark."
"Nope."
"Chloe is the last thing my mom gave me, and I won't let her go!"
"Sorry kid I don't want a cat."
"You don't want me either yet here we are... and besides you didn't even know about her before just now."
"The answer is no, end of discussion..."
"Hey I'm back!" I sigh in relief when I hear Pepper come into the room.
"What's going on?"
"This little terror snuck her cat into this penthouse and he's..."
"She's," I interrupt and get a glare from Tony.
"She's in her room right now."
"I know, I just didn't think it was a big deal, she even has a litter box under the bed, Well a cardboard box, but we can fix that tomorrow."
"You mean you knew about this this the whole time."
"Yep, and as for you young lady, I think it's time for a bath and then bed."
"Yes ma'am, goodnight mr. Stark." I say with a smirk, and go to my room. I can hear Pepper and Tony arguing, but I don't care Pepper will win. I still wanna listen in though, so I do.

"Tony, listen to me. Do you know how much that little girl has lost? Her family, home, life, friends, and probably even some of herself. She's scared, she might not look like it, but she is. Before she had a mom and dad who paid attention to her and loved her, but now... she's got to feel so alone."
"She doesn't have anything to be afraid of, she's probably the safest six year old in the world."
"She's seven, and she doesn't care about that at the moment, she acts tough but she just wants, deserves, and needs love... and not just mine, Tony she needs her fathers love."
"It's so hard Pep."
"Why?!"
"Because she... she looks just like her. She reminds me of what I lost because I was an idiot!" He says in an emotional voice.
"Oh Tony."

      I hear Pepper embrace Tony, and I wanna cry, he says I look like mom. At least Pepper isn't mad that he talks about his ex-wife like he still loves... loved her, she understands.

"I'm gonna go check on her, will you at least make an effort?"
"This is making an effort. She's not exactly an angel."
"She's hurting, has she actually eaten before the burger?"
"No, she just threw it all up."
"Okay."

     It's at that moment that I realize my stomach doesn't feel very good, and I get up and scramble to the nearest bathroom, which happens to be right past the adults. They jump up and run after me. I slam the door and lock it before Tony can come in, and the burger from earlier makes a reappearance. They are knocking on the door, but I just ignore them and let it all out. I open the door and stumble out.
    Pepper is the first one to try to come to my aid. I push her away, I can barely see straight I feel like I'm about to pass out. I start rambling random things I don't even remember what I say. It's like I'm under water, everything is disoriented, and I feel like I'm drowning.

(Tony's pov)
     I wanted to yell at her for listening in on our conversation, but I didn't when I realized that she was running to something. I chased after her but dang she was fast for a little girl, and she was ahead of me.
"Peighton!" She ignored Pepper, and slammed and locked the door before I could get in.
"Peighton, unlock this door right now!" I said in the iron man harsh voice but I got a stink eye from Pepper, and weakly added a
"Please?" She rolled her eyes but went back to trying to coax Peighton out. I hear the distinct sound of Peighton throwing up and realize that Pepper is right she can't even keep food down she's gonna be depressed if we don't do something. I'm about to demand her to open the door again, but I hear the lock click and the door open. She looks like she's about to pass out I'm not sure if it's from exhaustion or starvation or a bit of both. She pushes Pepper away when she tries to help her.
"No stop! You're not my mom! She's dead... she's dead!" She whimpers it doesn't affect Pepper, but it makes me flinch when I see the little girl in front of me... it's not the girl that was dropped off on my doorstep... she's broken. I saw her as a girl, but not a scared little girl. My scared little girl.
    She's about to pass out, but I swoop in and lift her in my arms. She's lighter than she should be for her age. She tries to push me away and hit at me, but I just hush her and carry her to her room and lay her on the bed to sleep. In the morning she's eating a good yet light breakfast that she can keep down.
"Goodnight kid." I whisper and leave the room.

ARE THEY GONNA START BONDING OR WILL TONY GO BACK TO NORMAL TONY??!??!
10/30/19