11.Hurtful Confrontation

When I wake up it's not time to get up, but I won't be able to fall back asleep. I dreamt I was home and me, mom, dad were playing in the yard. I wanted to cry when I realized that it was just a dream. I also wanted to cry when I remembered what a fool I made of myself yesterday. I was throwing up and I think Tony carried me to my room. I hope he doesn't bring it up. Chloe is the only reason I haven't gotten up she's snuggling right on my side, she's so warm. I don't think I have enough energy to even cry.

(Tony's POV)
     I've been tossing and turning all night. At first I didn't want anything to do with the little girl in the room down the hall.  Now I don't know what I want, maybe the kid isn't so bad, but she doesn't need to live the life I lead. It's to dangerous she's gonna get hurt. It's time to stop thinking about what I want and start thinking about what's best for her... and it sure as heck isn't me.

(Peighton's POV)
     When I finally see the sun starting to rise I get out of bed, and get into the shower trying to drowned my sorrows out. It doesn't work I still have a pit in the bottom of my stomach. I slowly go down the stairs into the living room. For the first time since I've been here I actually hope that Tony is in his workshop. Fortunately he is.
"Mrs Peighton, Mr. Stark would like you to eat the toast in the kitchen, I've been keeping it warm for you."
"Thanks But I'm not hungry."
"He said if you didn't eat it he was gonna force feed you."
"Yeah right."
"He knew you'd say that so he said to give you one more chance before informing him."
"Fine! Jeez why does he care about me all the sudden?!" I huff and go grab the toast. It's not that bad, but it doesn't make me want it.
"Where is Pepper?"
"She had to go to work. Mr. Stark is going to be in the workshop most likely all day, or there something you would like to do?"
"Like what? Play hide and seek, or tag with the man in the moon?" I say sarcastically.
"That would be hard, it is daytime."
I groan,
"You need a sense of humor. Can I go down to Tony's shop without him knowing... I'd be like a spy!"
"I would not recommend that, he is very busy."
"Welp looks like I'll have to be extra careful." I sneak down to see Tony tinkering with some kind of robot.
      "Did you eat your food?"
"How'd you know I was here?!"
"I asked you first."
"Did JARVIS tell you."
"That you snuck down... yup" he says popping the p.
"Did you eat?"
"Yes."
"Good now go do something."
"Like what?"
"I'm sure you'll figure it out."
"Will you play a board game with me?" I'm seriously going crazy with boredom.
"No."
"Why not?"
"Because."
"Cause why."
"Because I don't want to."
"Why not?"
"Because I'm busy."
"Doing what?"
"Grownup stuff."
"What kind of..."
"If you don't stop talking I'm going to lock you in the basement."
"What basement?" I say clearly wanting to annoy him. He shoots me a look that I don't dare ask anything else.
"Do you even have any kid movies."
"Nope. I thought I told you to stop talking."
"Whatever."
"Don't Whatever me."
"Or what you'll get of your high horse and do something?"
"Watch it."
"That's definitely not a kids movie."
"Peighton!"
"I'm leaving." I say in defeat. I stalk upstairs feeling nothing but loneliness.
I sit in a chair that's to big for me, and take a deep breath. I look over and see my moms painting, that's when I lose it, I fall on the floor in a sobbing mess. I hear steps from the lab coming out, but I run to my room. I don't want him to see me crying again. He knocks on my door,
"Peighton, I know your crying, just open the door so we can talk."
"No!"
"Stop being a pain! Open the door!"
"No!"
"What do you even want?!"
"MY MOM!" That shut him up, I hear him walking away, and decide to open the door and try to sneak off to take a walk or something, that's when I'm grabbed by my biceps and lifted effortlessly off the ground."
"Gotcha!" Stark says with a chuckle.
"You thought I gave up didn't ya? Now why are you crying?"
"I'm not!"
"Then why were you crying?" He says turning me so I can face him. I explode with angry sarcasm.
"Oh, I don't know, maybe it has something to do with my parents dying, or me being thrown in a house with complete strangers, or maybe the threat of an orphanage over my head, or maybe because my only friend is a cat, or a robot thingy, And the fact that nobody cares about me, or maybe it's the fact that my own daddy dearest wants me gone because he hates having me around because I look like my mom! Which is a complement by the way! Or maybe..."
"Okay okay I get it. Rough week huh kid? Well if it makes you feel better I won't send you to an orphanage, and you'll be going to school talk to people, make friends, and the thing of nobody cares isn't true, Pepper cares!" I roll my eyes. Of course he doesn't care, how can someone so smart be such an idiot?
"Just let me go, it's obvious you don't care about me, you only care about yourself!" I stomp to my room and slam the door so hard even my sleeping kitten jumps awake. I lay on my bed and cry myself to sleep.

(Unknown POV)
"Well?!"
"Sir, it would've been easier had we kidnapped the husband as well ."
"We don't need him. She wouldn't give up the information over him, and I want a location."
"Sir there is a slight problem."
"You know how I tend to handle the deliverance of problems?" The man says angrily.
"Sir, this Peighton is unable to be found, we've checked in every database."
"We'll check again! She couldn't of disappeared!"
"Sir S.H.E.I.L.D has done more than make someone disappear. The fact we kidnapped one of the top agents has set us off on shields radar. I thought that was something we couldn't afford."
"It isn't, but they know we have their agent and they know she has the plans to operation 'Rabbit Hole', It's only a matter of time before they realize who we are."
"Do you think they have the girl?"
"Of course they do it's S.H.I.E.L.D we are dealing with. And as for you I want that little girl found... now!"

11/4/19