Chapter 10

Bonnie's POV

We were jumping the stairwell, for me it was nothing, a tiny gap. I landed the other side, and panted, before hearing a strange meowing from the stairwell! Suddenly I couldn't feel Lyndon on my back, and I screamed his name as I realised he had fallen. Why did I take the risk? Idiotic. I ran as fast as I could down the stairs, to see a rather broken and battered Lyndon at the bottom. Sniffing him, I could smell the life that filled his body, and so I hit the lift button (a trick Hannah had taught me) before pushing Lyndon onto my back and carrying him inside. The lift can only have taken a few minutes to reach the floor of the common room, but to me it felt like forever. Carefully, I stepped outside and gently trotted to the door. Letting out a large but steady bark, I heard silence fall inside. Usually I would have leapt and opened the door myself, but I couldn't risk injuring the cat anymore. Someone stepped toward the door, and I could instantly tell it was Kim. She opened the door and gasped, throwing her hands to her mouth. I paced inside and whimpered as I reached Nilesy. He had tears in his eyes as he lifted Lyndon from my back. This was all my fault, what if he doesn't wake up? What have I done...

Hannah's POV

I sat in silence as Bonnie brought Lyndon in. She walked solemnly to Nilesy, and allowed him to pick up the nearly lifeless form. Soon after Nilesy shot out the door and all the silent office was filled with as the sound of a revving engine, no doubt heading to the vets. I simply sat in shock as the whole office turned to look at Bonnie. She whimpered and wagged her tail, but no one bent down and no one told her it was ok. Ears pressed against her head, I watched my little princess stalk out the room, looking more than upset. So I followed her. In the corridor, I sat on the floor and called her over. She whined as she got close to me before curling up on my lap.

"What happened girl?" I asked the shivering collie. Her beautiful brown eye and blue eye both stare more or less into my soul, and suddenly I feel what she's feeling. A little hungry, but mostly extremely guilty. She looks away and the spell brakes.

"Can you show me what happened Bon?" I asked again, this time to a reaction. She stood and walked slowly towards the stairwell, where I put two and two together. She had been doing her trick of jumping the stairwell, with Lyndon on her back... Well, not for long anyway. This was terrible. I couldn't punish her, Bonnie didn't mean to! It was an accident. I just sure hope Lyndon was ok.

Lyndon's POV

Ugh... Where am I? All I could see was this huge bright light... The light? Was I dying? Nope, it was the light on the surgery table. Great. The vets again! At least sit wasn't jabs this time...

'Quick he's waking up! The anaesthetic didn't work!' Huh? Some guy with a mask was shouting. Next thing I know someone's running at me with a needle full of green liquid. Here we go again! I drift in and out of consciousness for about three seconds before falling back under... This was going to be a looooooong day.

Nilesy's POV

Ever since the vet toms me Lyndon would be fine after a few weeks rest, I knew he would put it on. A month later and he was still faking an injured paw! I shook my head as I watched the poor defenceless cat look longingly at the food cupboards. I chuckled, before wagging my finger at the cat.

"Uh uh Lyndon!" I laughed, "you've already had your dinner!"

He looked diminished as I once again laughed at him.

"But!" I teased, "it's a shame your legs aren't working... I was going to bring you to work today!" All of a sudden his ears pricked up, as did his spirit! He suddenly forgot his limp and leapt at the door, meowing at me as if to hurry.

Finally we got to Yogtowers, and immediately after being welcomed back by everyone, he settled down in the common room on the most cosy pillow I have ever seen, and I admit I was reasonably jealous! Bonnie curled herself up at his side, and refused to leave him all day, protecting him. I know she didn't mean to hurt him, and it was obvious she truly was sorry, and so that's how I left them. Curled up by each other, the most unlikely of best friends, a cat and a dog.