Shirabu Kenjirō || Loss

beep

beep

beep

"Hey, this is [l/n][f/n]! I'm sorry that I can't answer your call right now, I'm probably really busy at the moment. Just leave me a message and I will definitely call you back as soon as-"

Shirabu didn't listen to the rest of the answering machine, or rather he couldn't. He tossed his phone on his bed out of frustration.

How often had he already dialled your phone number just to hear your voice? He didn't know because he had eventually stopped counting. The second year setter would do everything to hear your soft and pleasant voice again and this was the only way he could.

'I will definitely call you back'

"No you won't. Not anymore." His voice broke and he was burying his face in his hands, trying to hold back his tears.

He thought he would have more time with you. He thought you would stay by his side for a bit longer. He thought he would spend the rest of his life with you, together. But this cruel world had to take you away, taking your life way too soon.

It was not even a week ago, but it already felt like ages. He was still in denial, hoping for you to return to him with your usual cheerful smile, telling him that everything was okay. But it was definitely not.

Shirabu didn't know how to handle this situation, blaming himself for not agreeing to your proposal to go on a date, recalling the scene over and over again.

❁❁❁

"Kenjirō! Go on a date with me~" You were lying on his bed while he would sit at his desk, studying.

"Sorry, [f/n] but I can't. I have to study." He said apologetically, feeling bad for refusing again. It wasn't like he didn't want to go, but since he didn't get into Shiratorizawa with a sports recommendation, he had to work hard to maintain his good grades.

"You say that every time I ask you! It has been ages that we went somewhere else than your room; your grades are already good, so would it really be that much to ask of to leave your desk for a couple of hours to have fun?" In an instant you sat up, pouting.

Your boyfriend of 2 years turned around in his chair, signalizing you to come. At first you wanted to ignore him, teasing him for neglecting you but his open arms seemed pretty inviting and in less than no time you were sitting on his lap.

Shirabu wrapped his arms around your waist, pulling you closer. You put your arms around his neck, embracing him tightly, slowly connecting your lips with his and only parting them to take a short breath. You wandered gradually away from his lips down to his neck, carefully sucking his soft skin to leave a mark, when he suddenly stopped you.

"That's enough, [f/n]. I really have to learn now." He said in a husky voice, putting the loose strand of your [h/c] hair behind your ear.

"Fine." You groaned, standing up reluctantly. You started to pout again but your boyfriend only chuckled at this sight.

"I'm gonna make up for it, I promise." A faint smile appeared on his face. When he smiled at you like that, you couldn't be possibly angry at him.

"I hope so! Anyways, I'm going to grab us something to eat or I will starve to death haha."You put on your shoes and opened the door to his room.

"Be careful!"Shirabu said before the door closes behind her.

Time went on but you didn't come back. Even after an hour there was no trace of you. The setter began to worry, so he decided to give you a call. Nobody picked up, so he tried it again, slightly panicking, but then someone finally accepted the phone call.

"Good afternoon. Are you perhaps an acquaintance of [l/n][f/n]?" An unknown female voice asked.

A shiver went down his spine. He had a bad premonition.

"Where is she? What happened to her?"His voice was shaking slightly.

"When she crossed the street, a car bumped into her with an immense speed. She is in the hospital right now."The woman at the other end of the line stops for a moment, but he knew exactly what she was about to say next.

"Unfortunately, she won't make it. My deepest condolences."

For Shirabu, time stopped running. He didn't even realize that he had held his breath for the whole time. The air around him was suffocating, making it more difficult for him to breath. His whole body felt numb, unable to digest the fact that you were gone now, without a warning.

He jumped up in an instant, grabbed his jacket and rushed out of the room.

❁❁❁

A tear ran down his face, followed by more, leaving stains on his cheek.

Shirabu blamed himself too much for your death, regretting every decision he made on that day. What if he agreed on going on a date with you that day? What if he didn't let you go to buy something to eat? What if he just did everything different?

The second year setter buried his face in his hands again, trying to calm down. He couldn't stay like this forever because he knew you wouldn't want that. But still, he couldn't do anything against the hole in his heart, making him feel the pain of his loss.

"I'm so sorry [f/n]."

His voice cracked and he paused for a moment.

"Please, come back to me."

_______________________________________

a/n: And again it's Shiratorizawa haha. I feel so bad for writing an Shirabu x angst but this idea got into my mind when I rewatched season  3, so i just had to do it ;_; Anyways, I hope you liked this oneshot and I would be really happy if you could leave a short comment whether you liked it or not :)

Word count: 926

Started writing: 14/01/2019

Finished writing: 27/01/2019

Published date: 28/01/2019