Akaashi Keiji || Stay

"Let's break up."

The blue eyes of the black haired man in front of you were staring at you intensely. His expression was cold and distant.

"Alright. If that's what you want."

Your voice was blank, your mind seemed absent. Fatigue was weighing down your body. A brief glance at your watch told you that you wouldn't get enough sleep this time either. You didn't even have the strength to discuss this further. Maybe it was for the best to end this relationship considering how occupied you were with your work.

"If that's all you wanted to tell me, I'll go now."

You looked at him one last time, this time you did it properly. You can't even remember the last time you really looked at him. Besides his cold expression, he looked exhausted and a small trace of agony was discernible. He seemed like he wanted to say something, wanted to prevent you from going, but he kept silent.

You stood up and left the restaurant without looking back at him nor your past relationship.

❀❀❀

It's been a month since your breakup with Akaashi. Even though you didn't want to admit it, you felt a void space inside of you. It felt weird not to have him by your side like usual. There were times where you wanted to contact him, where you missed him, but then you realised that you weren't in the position to do that anymore.

10 years. You were together for 10 years. The two of you met in high school and fell in love with each other after spending some time together since you were one of the volleyball team's manager back then. You really thought that Akaashi would be the one you would spend the rest of your life with, but as time passed, each of you got too busy with work.

You were lying on your bed, thinking about your past relationship with Akaashi. You didn't know what went wrong. Sure, there were times when the two of you argued heavily, but neither of you had thought of breaking up before. You couldn't believe that breaking up with someone you spent most of your life with could be so...easy.

You let out a heavy sigh. It was a rare day off for you and you spent it in your room brooding over something that was beyond repair. You knew it was for the best. He deserved someone better, someone who would give him the love and the attention he deserved. Still, your heart was aching. You took his love for granted so you gradually stopped putting an effort into this relationship, prioritising your career over him. When you finally realised what you were doing, it was already too late.

You grabbed your phone and went through your gallery. The last time you took a picture with him was two years ago, making you realise even more how much you neglected him. The two people staring at you from your display seemed to be tired but they were still radiating some kind of happiness.

There was a lump in your throat as you gazed at the pictures. You were happy and grateful whenever you met him back then, but when did all of this change? Your vision started to blur when your phone started vibrating all of a sudden. You were startled, causing you to drop your phone.

For a moment your heart beat got faster. Something inside of you was hoping that it was him who called you. You turned around your phone in anticipation but you were slightly disappointed when you read your best friend's name on the display.

"Hey Kōtarō, what's up?" You tried to sound normal but even a stranger could tell that something was off.

"Hey [f/n], are you working this evening? Wanna grab a drink together?" Either he was just an airhead or pretended to have overheard it. Whatever it was, you were relieved that he didn't ask about it.